ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software for Mindmapping etc

(1/4) > >>

JeffK:
I wonder if any forum members have any preference for Mindmapping or similar software.  I have bought the program Inspiration but would like something which is closer to the mindmapping paradigm.  It seems to me the bang per buck in the established packages such as Mindmanager, Mind Genius, Mindmapper, ConceptDraw etc is pretty low and they seem to be getting more expensive all the time. 

I just spent the best part of a day at work trying to create a new way of looking at budgeting at work to help the number nuts understand the engineering.  I had to use Visio for the idea generation and mapping process so that the outpout could be shared with others.  Yuk.  I could have done the same thing with Excel in less than two hours.

Regards,

Jeff

zridling:
Hey, I love Visio man!  :) The biggest problem I have with mind mapping apps is that they're needlessly complex and too focused on formatting options over layout ease. I looked at both MindGenius and MindJet, but both seem the wrong approach — I want to get my ideas down quickly rather than focus on which button to push. I feel for you.

mouser:
this isnt a mind map tool, but
Pacestar makes some diagramming tools, which are very simple compared to Visio.
I'm a long long time user of their EdgeDiagrammer tool.

compared to visio this tool is much much simpler, but its very fast and easy to use and just fun to use.

for sketching out ideas i just love edge diagrammer (http://www.pacestar.com/edge/eddesc.htm).

zridling:
Jeff, have you checked out FreeMind? It's in its early development but is darn simple to use.

dnm:
I use MindManger X5 Pro and find it very intuitive and powerful. It took me a little bit to remember the keystrokes for adding a new child element, etc. but once I did, it flowed real well for me. I also made a couple of basic map templates that I use for certain kinds of projects, which saved me from doing the same basic initial map setup over and over again. I highly recommend it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version