topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 8:00 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The Desktop fight you've all been waiting for...  (Read 3363 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The Desktop fight you've all been waiting for...
« on: April 21, 2009, 03:49 PM »
Although I'm a big fan of Xfce, I found this article humorous, and it's good to see Linux Magazine back in the ring with a delightfully different method of doing reviews...  :P

GNOME vs. KDE: The Final Smackdown
Two Linux desktops step into the ring. But in the end, there can be only one…
---------------
Ken: Hello ladies and gentleman, and welcome to the Linux Magazine Arena in beautiful downtown San Francisco! We’re here for tonight’s main event; GNOME vs. KDE; The Final Smackdown! I’d also like to welcome my co-commentator for tonight’s battle royale;Red Debuntu Volkersworth.

Red: Thanks, Ken. The energy in this place is truly amazing! These two industry giants intend to settle the score once and for all, and only one can hold the title of Universal Linux Window Manager. Judging by the sound of the crowd, I’d say the two are about to enter the ring. Who’s the favorite in tonight’s challenge?

Ken: Vegas odds have it as an even match going into the fight, although there’s been some talk that KDE’s 4th incarnation might give it the punching power to finally take GNOME out once and for all.

from http://blogs.zdnet.c...9848&tag=nl.e589
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 03:55 PM by Edvard »

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Desktop fight you've all been waiting for...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 08:48 AM »
entertaining but predictable imho

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Desktop fight you've all been waiting for...
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 01:02 AM »
Agreed on all fronts.  I too prefer XFCE for what I have seen, though I am intrigued by LXDE.  Wonder if they will do a round-robin of all these desktops.  Most interestingly to me would be a true roundup sans 3rd party programs.  Too many complaints how OOo does not compare to KOffice because OOo is not part of GNOME.  That is unrealistic in the above article, in my opinion, because being part of it and being the default is not the same.  OOo IS the default office for GNOME regardless if it comes with it or not.  KOffice IS the default office regardless if OOo is there or not (until the user switches).  These are why the article was correct despite the nay-sayers.  That said, any distribution could change the default before it is sent out, so a true roundup would be sans 3rd party.  Or put the 3rd party on all of them for speed comparisons, et. al.

Enough of my rambling...