ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Oracle Buys Sun - Your Thoughts?

<< < (3/3)

Shades:
On SlashDot there was a comment that the (longtime) boss from Oracle has a hate/love relationship with M$. Now he has a hardware platform, an OS and one of the major software development languages in-house. Their core product runs already fine on all those items, so they can now offer complete solutions for mid-size or bigger companies. Same as an M$ based solution, likely cheaper. For some this sounds like a very good deal.

MySQL will be the victim of the take-over. With the free version of the Oracle database (which is kinda nice to work with) there will be no room left for a MySQL. The community edition will not survive, the commercial version likely will, as it is slightly better than the community edition and perhaps the free Oracle database.

As I have some experience with (the enterprise edition of) Oracle 9i it is very clear that those two products never going to interfere in each other market.

MySQL community edition will have its fork, as people still will like a "light" database, but I don't think all those ownership changes lately have done any good to the name and/or fame of MySQL. Postgres is also not that heavy on resources...and is a lot more capable, using the same SQL implementation like the big database players. MySQL is in principal a nice lightweight database with a good read throughput. It's main problem is showing up quickly when writing a lot of data simultaneous into it. The FreeRadius software (authentication server) is a perfect example of showing the limits of MySQL.

But like I said, all those ownership changes made people look for alternatives.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version