ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What are the options for restricting access to applications?

<< < (2/3) > >>

MilesAhead:
Booting into safe mode with the Administrator in XP Home and typing: 'secpol.msc' (or 'gpedit.msc') in the run dialog from the start menu doesn't work?

One reason more to be happy with XP Pro  :-\
-Shades (April 26, 2009, 06:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Don't know. I don't have xp home to try it.

mahesh2k:
I've problem on my hard disk, that one folder is not being deleted. there is some ads_data file inside the folder because of which it is not getting deleted :( . is there any way i can delete that folder? folder contains nothing other than that file. can i override the attribute and delete that folder?

app103:
Booting into safe mode with the Administrator in XP Home and typing: 'secpol.msc' (or 'gpedit.msc') in the run dialog from the start menu doesn't work?

One reason more to be happy with XP Pro  :-\
-Shades (April 26, 2009, 06:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

XP Home doesn't have group policies so 'secpol.msc' (or 'gpedit.msc') wll not work.

If you read the full instructions on the page I linked to, it explained how to do it for XP Home.

Windows XP Home users can try this method (slightly edited to make it more generic):

* Boot into Safe Mode.
* Navigate to [FileYouWantToBlock.exe] in Explorer.
* Right click on it in explorer and select Properties -> Security -> Advanced -> Edit
* Select the option to not let it execute for all users.

PhilB66:
Doug Knox Windows® XP Security Console does that.

Shades:
PhilB66 to the rescue!!   :)

@App103:
What you say makes sense, but as 'secpol.msc' appears to be the small little brother of 'gpedit.msc' I was thinking (or maybe hoping) that the small edition was included in XP Home Premium.

The oooops is completely on my side of the court :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version