ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What are the options for restricting access to applications?

(1/3) > >>

netmatt:
I found AppLocker by SmartX, but was hoping to find something Open Source so that I had a better understanding of how this works, and can perhaps tailor it if I need to?  :D

Matt

Jimdoria:
If you're on Windows, it may be possible to do this using NTFS file permissions. It's built right in.

app103:
If you're on Windows, it may be possible to do this using NTFS file permissions. It's built right in.
-Jimdoria (April 25, 2009, 12:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's how I got rid of the obnoxious ad window every time the free version of Avira updates.

Example of how to do that is here. Follow the same steps to do it with any other application you don't want to run.

MilesAhead:
Interesing info in the article. I'll have to try that on W7.  For Vista I only have Home Premium so that option isn't there. I use a freebie App killer to kill off stuff I don't want to run ever, like mobsync.exe.

Shades:
Booting into safe mode with the Administrator in XP Home and typing: 'secpol.msc' (or 'gpedit.msc') in the run dialog from the start menu doesn't work?

One reason more to be happy with XP Pro  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version