topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Desktop dynamic icon management based on the Noguchi Filing system  (Read 6680 times)

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

I have an idea I'd like to experiment on my XP Desktop, after the Nogichi filing system (see http://communication...i-filing-system.html) : I would like that when I dbl-click on a desktop icon, the icon is moved to the bottom right of the desktop, by a circular permutation with other icons.  After a while, most used icons would reside in the same area.

Do you know a software that does that already ?  Thanks.
.merle1.

thefritz_j

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have a question and a suggestion, (if it is okay to have both   :-[)

Question:
When you say "desktop icons" are you referring to document files on your desktop or short cuts to the applications you use?

Suggestion: (assuming you are referring to document files)
In Windows XP and on, you can group documents in a folder by date by:

Switch to Details View
Select View - Arrange Icons by Modified
Select View - Arrange Icons "Show in Groups"

This puts a few vertically arranged categories up for you:  Today, Yesterday, Two Months ago, etc.  So what happens is, is that your icons are grouped by when you worked on them last.  I use this for every folder I work in and it works great.  It sort of follows the Nogouchi file system you mentioned.

The only problem is that you can't use this view on the "Desktop" per se, unless you open a windows explorer window, and then open the "Desktop" folder from there. 

Hope that is helpful.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for your reply.  I'll definitely try what you suggest regarding documents.  I just have to adapt it to xplorer² which I use as file manager.

About your question : actually I was referring mainly to shortcut to applications.  And to the "real" desktop space, not a view within the file explorer.
.merle1.

thefritz_j

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I ask about "which type of icons" on the desktop because the Noguchi Filing system is about organizing documents, not tools (applications) to create/modify documents. 

Anyway, I think Windows has a "Most Recently Used" Application feature, somewhere.... maybe I'll look around for it.

Yeah, give "group by modified" a try in the Windows explorer first to get a feel for what it does.