ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Which idiot came up with Windows Defender * UAC

<< < (2/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I don't know much about Windows Defender - doesn't seem to slow down my laptop (it only does a file scan every now and then), so I've kept it since it doesn't interfere with my work.

As for "Everything" not being able to run at startup, what happens? Does it give an error message, or does it simply not start? It might be an issue of Everything trying to add itself to the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Run key, but not being allowed - try manually adding it?
-f0dder (April 21, 2009, 05:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

I just get a UAC error at startup saying 'Everything' has been blocked from running (actually it is a little tray icon with a balloon style popup - right clicking on the icon lets me allow the application but you can't tell it to remember that so you have to do it every single time!).

nudone:
i'm using the scheduled tasks method of running Everything. i admit it's a bit of a faff but once done it all works as you'd expect - so, can't you just do a similar thing for your bank apps?

(defender seems to be running fine on here, too.)

lanux128:
here is the tool i mentioned: NortonUAC. of course, it depends on how far are you willing to use a Norton product..

lanux128:
from Everything FAQ: How do I bypass the UAC to run "Everything" with administrative privileges on system startup?

• http://www.voidtools.com/faq.php#How_do_I_bypass_the_UAC_to_run__Everything__with_administrative_privileges_on_system_startup

Carol Haynes:
Well Carol - here goes:
http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microsoft/vista/disable-windows-defender-service-in-windows-server-2008-or-vista/

SKA
-SKA (April 21, 2009, 06:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks - simpler solution than anything I have found is:

Open Windows Defender and go to Option
Scroll down and uncheck 'real-time protection'
Scroll further down and uncheck "Use Windows Defender"

Now when Windows Vista starts up it ignore Windows Defender completely (and if you look in services you can see the service is not running but it has been left on automatic).

All the other suggested fiddling means that you have to remember what you did should you decide to re-enable Defender  with the above method you just go to the Security Centre and start it up again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version