ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

ZDNET: Have we arrived in the post-Windows era?

<< < (3/5) > >>

40hz:
I truly don't know why it gets such bad press.  I've had my moments, but most of those have been a result of wanting to do things myself, and vista 'protecting' me from messing things up, because it wanted to fix it (and admittedly did- if not as fast as I wanted).  But overall, it hasn't been a bad experience.
-wraith808 (April 21, 2009, 09:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good point. But then the question becomes whether or not your "not bad" experience is worth $150-300 when you can have an equally "not bad" experience for free?

A corporate buyer once told me that (from her perspective) most tech marketing seems to say little more than: "Don't use their crap - use our crap!" -or- "Don't hire those jerks - hire our jerks"

Sometimes I think she's right. ;D

wraith808:
Well, in the scheme of things, I fell into the Vista is already installed, why not try it.  I've even received free upgrades to vista that I didn't install b/c of the press and the feeling of "it's already working, so why try something that everyone is complaining about."

The real reason(IMHO) to upgrade from 3.1 to 95/98 to XP was software- there's no such impetus for Vista.

MilesAhead:
The fact that a legal copy of Windows is expensive and licensed, not sold. Using Windows -- for me -- means agreeing to a number of increasingly harsh restrictions. For most Windows licenses, you can't keep the software when you change the hardware
-zridling (April 20, 2009, 10:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

My favorite gimmick for shrink-wrapped software, is the notice on the side of the box that says "by opening this package your agree to the licensing terms yadda yadda.." and then it informs you to see the license agreement inside the box!!!  Talk about a blank check!!!  Just sign here, we'll fill in the terms later!!  Don't worry, be happy!!

:wallbash:

Ehtyar:
A corporate buyer once told me that (from her perspective) most tech marketing seems to say little more than: "Don't use their crap - use our crap!" -or- "Don't hire those jerks - hire our jerks"

-40hz (April 21, 2009, 09:50 AM)
--- End quote ---
The Mac vs. PC ads are a perfect example, and now MS has stooped to their level and managed to do an even worse job.

*sigh*

Ehtyar.

J-Mac:

-40hz (April 21, 2009, 09:50 AM)
--- End quote ---
The Mac vs. PC ads are a perfect example, and now MS has stooped to their level and managed to do an even worse job.

*sigh*

Ehtyar.
-Ehtyar (April 21, 2009, 03:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, from what I have read the Mac vs. PC ads were extremely effective - for Apple. The newer "I'm a PC" ads by MS haven't been effective - at least not yet.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version