topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 10:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: New email notification for deaf or those with muted sound  (Read 4183 times)

Leef_me

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have Windows Vista that comes with "Windows Mail". AFAIK, it seems to be a version of "Outlook Express."

I am looking for an AHK script that detects new mail (with WM open,of course) and pops up a bubble on the taskbar,
or even a simple message box would be OK too. I have already done a pretty lengthy search for a solution, to no avail.

This is for those of use who may be deaf, or those who choose to mute computer audio.

Can it be done with AutoHotKey?

I know there are programs and webpages that monitor your email, but it seems rather intuitive to use the existing program.

Alternately, any knowledge of how I can use AHK "COM_GetActiveObject" to access "Outlook Express" would be appreciated.

Thanks inadvance.

Leef_me

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: New email notification for deaf or those with muted sound
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 10:28 PM »
i use WLM rather sparingly and don't keep them running all the time. this site here lists two such tools called WinMailTray & "Windows Mail Tray Icon". i haven't tried either of them but it looks to be doing what you wanted..

Mail.jpg

http://www.vistax64....-mail-tray-icon.html

Leef_me

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 02:14 AM »
i use WLM rather sparingly and don't keep them running all the time. this site here lists two such tools called WinMailTray & "Windows Mail Tray Icon". i haven't tried either of them but it looks to be doing what you wanted..
 (see attachment in previous post)
http://www.vistax64....-mail-tray-icon.html

Hello lanux128,

Thanks for the for the reply. If you are referring to Windows Live Messenger (WLM), I don't want anything to do with it.
I followed your suggested link and installed WMTI, but there is nothing I need.

I am looking for notification of Incoming emails, WMTI doesn't do that. It just wraps WM and hides it via an icon.

Thanks anyway.

Leef_me

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 05:03 AM »
by WLM, i meant Windows Live Mail (which can be downloaded for XP).. i didn't realize both of the apps have the same initial..

I am looking for notification of Incoming emails, WMTI doesn't do that. It just wraps WM and hides it via an icon.

hmm.. in that case, it's rather redundant since the beta version does that by default.. i'll let you know if i come across anything..