ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's the dfference between using portable installaions vs PortableApps?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Ehtyar:
Ehtyar, thanks for the explanation.  That cleared things up for me.  So it sounds like i would probably use a combination of my regular portable programs, and for ones that aren't portable, hopefully they are on portableApp...like Firefox.
-superboyac (April 20, 2009, 01:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yep. There are also a lot of instructions on the PortableApps forums for apps that aren't actually built as portable. You can also usually search for an app with "portable" appended (like "FARR portable") and you will find instructions for it.

Ehtyar.

tinjaw:
If someone wants to provide a menu application that is fine but however an installer does not make life easier. I think that the best way would be a menu builder that scans the pointed drive for exe, bat, jar etc then it creates the menu based on those apps on a drive or in folders.
-kartal (April 20, 2009, 12:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Check out Pegtop PStart. It does that and works very well in general.

superboyac:
If someone wants to provide a menu application that is fine but however an installer does not make life easier. I think that the best way would be a menu builder that scans the pointed drive for exe, bat, jar etc then it creates the menu based on those apps on a drive or in folders.
-kartal (April 20, 2009, 12:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Check out Pegtop PStart. It does that and works very well in general.
-tinjaw (April 20, 2009, 09:04 AM)
--- End quote ---
i've been meaning to try that.  It looks cool.  Although it would be better if FARR and LBC works from the USB...which i think it does.

mouser:
Although it would be better if FARR and LBC works from the USB...which i think it does.
--- End quote ---

all of my programs (except url snooper which needs the winpcap drivers installed) can be run portably.

superboyac:
Although it would be better if FARR and LBC works from the USB...which i think it does.
--- End quote ---

all of my programs (except url snooper which needs the winpcap drivers installed) can be run portably.
-mouser (April 20, 2009, 11:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well...what can I say?  Awesome!  I will have to make a portable launchbar with LBC.  How do I define shortcuts with relative paths?  because my USB drive will be different letters on different computers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version