ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to subvert Big Brother's blocking of URL shorteners?

<< < (2/3) > >>

app103:
I have Avira 9, free version, and it does not contain any sort of Web Guard, nor does it block or interfere with shortened url's.

Have you tried enabling the windows firewall and shutting off the Zone Alarm one to see if it makes a difference?

Zone Alarm is notorious for interfering with accessing sites. The first 6 months I had a GMail account I couldn't use it because Zone Alarm was interfering with any & all IE based browsers logging into GMail. It was my initial reason for trying Firefox for the very first time.

barney:
Been a long time since I actually worked with ZA conifigs ... last time I did, there wasn't any spy site blocking.  I've just been doing automatic upgrades and using existing config.  Yeah, I know ... slovenly at best, and downright careless.  Oh, well, we live and, after getting hurt, learn.

The spy site blocking had four different URL shortening sites listed ... dunno why not all of 'em.  Marked the site as OK, and all seems well with the world.  At least I'll know where to look next time.  I just hate learning this way <sigh />.

Thanks, all ... ye've saved me much grief, methinks.

app103:
It's not just spy site blocking that Zone Alarm does. It also injects code into every page in your browser (at least it did last time I used it) and the scripts that code contains can sometimes clash badly with legitimate js scripts used on a page.

4wd:
It's not just spy site blocking that Zone Alarm does. It also injects code into every page in your browser (at least it did last time I used it) and the scripts that code contains can sometimes clash badly with legitimate js scripts used on a page.
-app103 (April 19, 2009, 02:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just one reason why I no longer use it, (even though I had two paid licenses for ZA Pro), another was how much the later versions all seemed to impact network throughput, (especially increasing my game lag - that's a NO NO!!), and just generally bog down the whole system - even when all the crap except for the basic firewall was turned off.

Jimdoria:
Just a thought - but is it possible you've got some kind of a bug that is interfering with your browsing? I know Conficker includes a component that blocks access to anti-virus and anti-spyware websites. Can you visit the main vendors (symantec, microsoft, etc.) without a problem?

You might also want to double-check your HOSTS file, and if you use Ad Block Plus in Firefox, try checking its config or disabling it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version