ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommend to me the BEST USB stick to get

<< < (17/19) > >>

superboyac:
many of the recommendations here are capless - has anyone had problems with that ? (visions of fluff or grit getting jammed in there if you dont check/clean it thoroughly before use...)
-tomos (November 28, 2009, 12:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
Let me repeat:  I have had ZERO problems with the Super Talent Pico-C.  It's tiny, capless, and indestructible.  I love this thing so much.  I keep it on my keychain in my pocket all day long, nothing happens.  I've never cleaned it, I've never had any issues at all.  In fact, I dropped it in my parents' driveway and it was there for three days before I found it.  Not a thing wrong with it.  It's a brilliantly designed USB drive.

MilesAhead:
many of the recommendations here are capless - has anyone had problems with that ? (visions of fluff or grit getting jammed in there if you dont check/clean it thoroughly before use...)
-tomos (November 28, 2009, 12:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
Let me repeat:  I have had ZERO problems with the Super Talent Pico-C.  It's tiny, capless, and indestructible.  I love this thing so much.  I keep it on my keychain in my pocket all day long, nothing happens.  I've never cleaned it, I've never had any issues at all.  In fact, I dropped it in my parents' driveway and it was there for three days before I found it.  Not a thing wrong with it.  It's a brilliantly designed USB drive.
-superboyac (November 28, 2009, 06:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Can you post a link?  I've been looking at a number of these, esp. the ones that scored high on large file write tests, but I keep seeing conflicting stuff in user reviews about not being able to plug the Pico-C into some ports.

Also I would be interested if you could give a ballpark benchmark writing a 100 MB or larger file onto it.

It's tough to know who to believe on these.  I read a benchmark test on a site claiming the Patriot Exporter XT was one of the high scorers on write tests.  But then on the store site a user review claimed it only wrote at about 9 MB/sec. when copying on large files.  Not all that fast when paying a speed premium.

superboyac:
Can you post a link?  I've been looking at a number of these, esp. the ones that scored high on large file write tests, but I keep seeing conflicting stuff in user reviews about not being able to plug the Pico-C into some ports.

Also I would be interested if you could give a ballpark benchmark writing a 100 MB or larger file onto it.

It's tough to know who to believe on these.  I read a benchmark test on a site claiming the Patriot Exporter XT was one of the high scorers on write tests.  But then on the store site a user review claimed it only wrote at about 9 MB/sec. when copying on large files.  Not all that fast when paying a speed premium.
-MilesAhead (November 28, 2009, 06:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
Regarding the speed, I can't help you there.  I don't know enough of that stuff to make heads or tails out of those benchmarks that I always see.  I just look at those graphs and usually gloss over it or say, "hmm...interesting" and move on.  Personally, I don't care too much about the speed of USB drives.  That is, unless it's annoyingly slow for some reason, but I've never run into that situation.  I've never noticed speed differences among usb drives.  Frankly, I don't know what you guys are looking for.  It's just a usb drive.  If I need performance, I look elsewhere.  All I care about is capacity and the physical features.  Anyway, sorry, I have no idea about that stuff.
As for the Pico-c, even though I don't know what they are talking about, most of the reviews said that the pico-c was among the faster ones.  Whatever.

I just transferred a 100 MB file to my pico-c.  It took 1:06.  But I had a bunch of other things going on in my computer.  So I don't know what that means.

Also, about the tight fit of the pico-c...I have had no problems with it and I've plugged it into over 10 computers by now.  yes, some were pretty tight.  but nothing happened.  You have to understand that some people just are obsessed with certain things and just harp on them forever when it's really not that big a deal.  So what if it's tight?  Big deal.  Nothing gets damaged so whatever.  And so what if benchmarks differ?  It's a usb drive, there are a lot of factors that affect how fast it is on any given day.  And in either case, it's way slower than other media like a hard drive.  To me, 90% of my choice is about the physical characteristics of the usb drive, 9% is the capacity, and 1% on things like read/write speed.

MilesAhead:
I was considering using the USB stick for playing videos but it turns out the WD player box I got supports USB docking stations.  For the price of a 16GB USB stick I ordered a 2nd one identical to the model I have on one of my PCs.  I already tried it and it plays the videos flawlessly.  Should cut down on video conversions quite a bit.

Eventually I'll probably get a 16GB stick because 8GB really is kind of small these days.  I'll wait a bit and see if the prices fall.

Thanks for the info.

MilesAhead:
I got this Verbatim 16GB since it was reported to have good write speed and I saw it for $35.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41sUHo5cDFL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I copied a 1.4GB file onto it.  It wrote at a steady 10 MB/sec.  Only thing is it's the type with the plastic slide and feels really flimsy.  I'll just have to wait and see how well it holds up to plugging and unplugging.  The A-Data rubber coated jobs feel very solid and seem to be rugged, but they only write at half the speed of this one.

edit: I formatted it to NTFS.  Crystal Disk Mark shows about 11.14 MB/sec sequential write.  More than twice as fast as my A-Data rubber coated ones.  I just hope it holds up.

You can't tell.  I read some customer reivews of the A-Data rubber coated ones that said they fell apart after a couple of uses.  The rubber gives it weight, cushions shock, and gives it a solid feel.  But, if the glue gives out, it gives out.

Edit:  I notice good prices on this USB here and there.  But, even though the write speed and cost are both reasonable, I don't really like it and wouldn't buy another one.  Plugging and pulling from the USB connector is tight, which makes it a struggle.  You have to jam your thumb against the little stop on top of the slide to plug in. Then when you pull it out, that stop is pulled by the slot in the plastic housing.  I know this thing won't stand up.  There's no way the innards can have that stress put on it and the thing last.  They should have put the electronics in a unit with no moving parts. So far that's USBs with sliding bodies purchased, 2, USBs with sliding bodies that I liked after I got 'em, 0.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version