topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Recommend to me the BEST USB stick to get  (Read 58750 times)

ShihanWushu

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Recommend to me the BEST USB stick to get
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2009, 08:03 PM »
I've had my Sandisk Titanium for quite a while and I use it several times every day. So far no problems. Earlier I had Sandisk with plastic cover. That one didn't last long.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2009, 12:11 AM »
I've had my Sandisk Titanium for quite a while and I use it several times every day. So far no problems. Earlier I had Sandisk with plastic cover. That one didn't last long.

Yeah, it's tough to judge.  I hate to do trial and error when they start getting to be > $20.  The AData 2 GB I mentioned seems like the flimsiest thing imaginable but maybe I got a good one.  The little snap on cap actually snaps and doesn't fall off.  Maybe that's how you tell on that model. :)  Guess I'm doomed to buy some since all the PCs have 0 floppy disk these days, so it's the only way you can do those little emergency utility gizmos.

I ordered another of those ADatas with the rubberized bodies.  8 GB this time.  Bought it on NewEgg for $19 shipped.  Hope it's as good as the 4 GB I bought earlier.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 12:13 AM by MilesAhead »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2009, 08:48 PM »
Maximum PC just did a write up on an extremely small USB stick that measures 19x15x6mm (that's tiny!) with 15mbs read and 6mbs write speeds. The 8GB version retails for  $33 USD and the 4GB version goes for $22 USD.

USB1.jpg

At those prices they seem almost too good to pass up. I just ordered a half-dozen.

Maximum PC article here: http://usb.brando.co...e_p00892c041d15.html

Order at this link: http://usb.brando.co...e_p00892c041d15.html

EagleTec_Nano8GBFlashDrive.jpg

DDRAMbo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2009, 12:31 AM »
Flash memory kit at Newegg for $23:
here
The actual memory component is very small, about as small as possible, and ported in the larger part you see with the lanyard attached. The lanyard is actually attached to the memory holder itself by a small ring of plastic which broke off of mine along with another small piece of plastic. What's left is in the picture below. That is essentially the memory adapter which you plug the 8GB micro-flash into. So on the up-side, it's very small and you can plug any size micro-memory chip into it. On the downside, this specific design failed after a short while due to lots of use. I now have to figure out how to make it able to attach to my keyring again and I'm good to go. By the way, this is very fast, with speeds of over 10 MB/s typical; faster than my 8GB Corsair Voyager at around 8 MB/s. That thing will last forever though.
usb device.jpg
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 12:34 AM by DDRAMbo »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2009, 03:11 PM »
I just wish they'd make these things as rugged as a ballpoint pen. Can't cost that much to go 1 mil thicker on the plastic can it?  Jeez!! :)

bcpaladin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2009, 03:19 PM »
I'm with sgtevmckay on this one.  I've had the OCZ DIESEL 16GB for about 3 months now.  It's small, has a no slip exterior, and the cap shows no signs of becoming worn to the point of coming off on its own.  It's fast too.  This is the drive I use for work so its been tested pretty hard.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2009, 06:10 AM »
While trawling the net looking at SSDs I happened across this flash drive:  OCZ Throttle eSATA Flash Drive

For eSATA:
90MB/s - Read
30MB/s - Write

And a USB interface if the host PC doesn't have an eSATA port.

The 16GB version is available at Newegg for $52.

Now we're getting to some realistic speeds  :D

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2009, 06:20 AM »
4wd: cute - are there any reliable & thorough reviews of it, though? I'm a bit skeptical wrt. the relatively high speeds and affordable price.
- carpe noctem

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2009, 08:43 AM »
While trawling the net looking at SSDs I happened across this flash drive:  OCZ Throttle eSATA Flash Drive

For eSATA:
90MB/s - Read
30MB/s - Write

And a USB interface if the host PC doesn't have an eSATA port.

The 16GB version is available at Newegg for $52.

Now we're getting to some realistic speeds  :D
The actual OCZ Throttle speed review was done here, but I think they only tested it with the USB connection.  Either way, i doubt even esata actually achieves those speeds.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2009, 08:47 AM »
Perhaps I'm dull, but I can't find the Throttle in the tested drives on that link? Anyway, USB2 would impose a max limit of "somewhat less than 60MB/s" because of the protocol. If the drive claims to 90MB/s but doesn't come close to 60MB/s with USB2, I sincerely doubt that eSATA helps.
- carpe noctem

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2009, 08:56 AM »
Perhaps I'm dull, but I can't find the Throttle in the tested drives on that link? Anyway, USB2 would impose a max limit of "somewhat less than 60MB/s" because of the protocol. If the drive claims to 90MB/s but doesn't come close to 60MB/s with USB2, I sincerely doubt that eSATA helps.
Whoops!  Sorry!  I meant this link.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2009, 08:43 PM »
The actual OCZ Throttle speed review was done here, but I think they only tested it with the USB connection.  Either way, i doubt even esata actually achieves those speeds.

If they're going to test a Flash Drive then they should test all it's interfaces, especially since eSATA is getting to be rather common these days.

BTW, USB performance as I recently discovered upon a visit to a friends place, seems to be mainly a function of the chipset used.

For my external 2.5" HDD I can consistently get 20MB/s writing and around 25-30MB/s reading on my current ATI based board and my previous ULi based board.

One of my friends PCs consistently produced 50-60MB/s reading and 40MB/s writing, pretty much double what I could previously get, and it's motherboard was an old nForce3-250 based SKT939.

Just goes to show I should never have got rid of my old nForce3-250 board.  I'll have to try it with one of my Flash drives next time.

Anyway, the point is unless you know what manufacturers' use to get their "figures" and what the reviewers use to get their "figures" then who's to say the manufacturers' figures are incorrect?

And yes, I know in the link you reference they specify the motherboard but quite a lot don't.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 08:45 PM by 4wd »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2009, 01:16 AM »
I got my gold Pico-C drive.  Check it out, it is tiny!!
PICT0118c.jpgRecommend to me the BEST USB stick to get

It is very well built.  All metal.  I'm putting it on my keychain, and I doubt it will get damaged.  I can't comment on the speed, I guess it's fast.  USB always seems slow to me anyway, but I'm used to transferring things between Sata drives.  It's supposed to be fast relative to other USB flash drives.

Anyway, I'm happy with it.  Now, on to setting up all my portable apps.  The backbone to my portable workstation will be FindandRunRobot, and LaunchbarCommander.  Of course.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2009, 02:30 PM »
Hmmmmmmmm got my Adata 8 GB I was waiting for. Only thing I noticed so far is the rubber cap is a lot tighter fit.  Must've been user feedback about the previous ones sliding off too easily.  Just hope it doesn't stress the electricals every time I pull the cap off.

Clipboard01.jpg

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2009, 06:00 PM »
Regarding the Pico-C tight fit.  Yes, it is a pretty tight fit into the USB slots, but it's a good thing.  I've now used it on 5 different computers and the fit is really good.  It's so small, that the tight fit is important so it doesn't wobble in there.  But it's not so big where it's stretching the slot, as mentioned earlier.

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2009, 07:31 AM »
Maybe I need to grind mine down or something. It's good to know it's not all of them.

Eric

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2009, 09:27 AM »
Special on Buy-

http://www.buy.com/p...8007&dcaid=18007

210267028.jpg

$39.99.  I had my 4GB forever, then wanted a larger one and have looked around at all of the 16GB, and tried a couple.  Now that I've found this for a reasonable price, I'll be getting it.  It's a bit large, but it's worth it IMO.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2009, 08:46 PM »
Interesting...my post from a couple days ago didn't show up...

I lost my gold pico-c usb drive Thursday night.  That's what I posted to say.  It didn't take long.

But just now, I found it!  I dropped it on the driveway of my parents' house.  The thing is so darn small, and it apparently got loose off my keychain clasp, which is hard to do.  Anyway, good news.  Time to back up and get a new keychain.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2009, 12:29 PM »
Quick update:

I bought myself the kingmax tiny usb (that i mentioned here) to put on my keyring.  After a couple of weeks the part that attaches to the keyring is breaking and threatening to fall off.  This is my 2nd attempt to find a tiny keyring usb, so it's back to the drawing board.  Just wanted to warn others looking for same thing as me.  I think next i'll try the Pico-C gold that superboy mentioned here.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2009, 12:53 PM »
Quick update:

I bought myself the kingmax tiny usb (that i mentioned here) to put on my keyring.  After a couple of weeks the part that attaches to the keyring is breaking and threatening to fall off.  This is my 2nd attempt to find a tiny keyring usb, so it's back to the drawing board.  Just wanted to warn others looking for same thing as me.  I think next i'll try the Pico-C gold that superboy mentioned here.
Good choice.  This Pico-C is awesome.  It's all metal and very rugged for something that is an electronic device.  Like I said, it was in my parents' driveway for 2 days.  Cars may have even driven over it, who knows (probably not).  It's very rugged.  Unless you somehow hammer the actual little contacts, this should last a long time.

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2009, 03:38 PM »
Well, my 8Gb Pico-C (the one I mentioned above, that doesn't fit in most slots) just failed. I've got an RMA and will be sending it back to SuperTalent. I've replaced it with a PNY Mini Attaché. Physically it seems fine, but Windows now asks to format it, and then can't. Reminds me of when floppy disks used to fail, back in the day.

Maybe they'll send me a new one that fits, since most people seem to be very happy with them.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2009, 07:29 PM »
Seems to be a crap shoot.  Trouble is it's impossible to tell from the outside how well connected the stuff is on the inside. If we're at the floppy disk stage, it must be those 5 1/4" paper floppies!! :)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2009, 04:34 PM »
It's been several months since getting my pico-C USB drive.  I have to make a special mention of how happy I am with it.  This thing is very indestructible.  It's capless design, no moving parts to remove/attach, and it's ultra-small size makes it just the perfect thing I could have hoped for.  I love this thing.  If I find the time, i will make a special post for it on my website. 

I'm also close to filling it up.  I may have to upgrade to the 16GB version soon.  I highly recommend this drive to anyone looking for a USB drive.  The only people who shouldn't consider it are those who think that it is TOO small, and I know some of you are like that.  However, for me, the smaller the better.  I don't need extra bulk in my pocket.  You may find smaller drives out there, but they will not be as well made as this one, as mouser discovered with the plastic one he got.

It's also a great conversation piece.  One of my coworkers was fascinated by it.  He got one himself, and says people always ask him about it.  I love it when companies get things SO right.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2009, 05:03 AM »
superboyac: how fast is the pico-c, though? speed is quite an important thing for me wrt. flash memory devices - throughput as well as random access time.
- carpe noctem

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2009, 05:07 AM »
If anyone is still looking, I have two OCZ Rally2 8GB Flash drives. I cannot recommend these enough. They are quick and very durable. They are not totally ruggedized like the corsair shock resistant models, but they are tougher than most low cost USB Memory sticks. 5 out of 5 cody's recommend this product ;-)