topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Recommend to me the BEST USB stick to get  (Read 58746 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Recommend to me the BEST USB stick to get
« on: April 19, 2009, 03:11 AM »
I'm finally going to try to make a portable system to carry around with me.  Can anyone recommend to me the absolute best USB stick to buy?  I don't really care about looks or price, more for reliability, speed, quality.

usually, I'll just whatever USB stick is around, i don't care.  But I was kind of wondering if there actually are differences in quality among sticks, and not just aesthetic.

Looking forward to the responses!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Recommend to me the BEST USB stick to get
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 03:17 AM »
Ooo, this one looks good:
patriot-xt.jpg

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 03:19 AM »
Don't know if this helps but...........

At my local PC shop, a customer told the proprietor that she put her Husbands' Sahara Flash Drive (by mistake) through the washer and dryer - AND IT STILL WORKS!  ;D

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 04:28 AM »
I looked into this about a year ago or so for just the same reason.  The key here is speed.  Looks, durability, quality (to some extent), etc. just doesn't matter for a portable application stick.  Just about any very high speed stick will be top quality.  When I looked, my top choice was OCZ or Corsair.  OCZ ATV Turbo tended to eek out most of the competition for me, but either of these would be great.  That Patriot XT was a top performer as well.  Generally the smaller size sticks tended to be faster as well, so that may play a part.  I found my Portable toolbox fits in about 512MB, so I got a 4GB so I could keep a large data file and still have good speed, though the 2GB sticks would have probably been better in retrospect.

This link to Tom's Hardware suggests the Corsair Voyager GT 16GB if money is no object - interesting....

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/corsair-creates-high-capacity-high-speed-usb-stick,4894.html

Personally, I ended up with a PNY XLR8 4GB stick.  It wasn't in the top 5 speeds at the time, but it was in the top 10.  It is certainly acceptable and was quite a bit cheaper than the alternatives.  The Voyager GT was top speed demon at the time, but I liked the OCZ because it went through torture tests that included getting run over by trucks, freezing in water, boiling in water, being dropped from a two story house, and a few others I don't remember without performance being affected in the slightest.  In fact the only complaint was that it was slightly larger (due mainly to the ruggedization) and the material used to make it grip easier.  That material tended to collect a lot of lint.  For me, big deal.  In the end, if you want the best and are reasonably careful with your stick, the Voyager GT is the way to go.  If you have other requirements, there are several alternatives to choose from with nearly equal speeds.

BTW:  Here is an article either similar to, or the same one I saw (can't remember where I saw it, so it may very well be the same one)  http://www.dvhardware.net/review125_3_ocz_atv_turbo.html  Another thing to consider is do you want to buy it now with the USB 3.0 standard due out so soon?  It might take a while for the tech to propagate, sure, but it will be faster (that you can pretty much guarantee) and it should be backward compatible as well IIRC.  Just a thought...

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 04:37 AM »
Corsair makes some pretty rugged drives.
Corsair Flash Voyager GT – Fastest USB pen drive in the world?

Tip: Try and get one whose cap isn't easy to lose.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 04:48 AM »
Have a 8Gbyte Kingston Datatraveler...very happy with that one. Still works after a trip through the washing machine and a physical "beating" from a playing kid who managed to move my PC case with connected stick some 10 cm further than physical room allowed.

But even as it is bent like an old soldier, it still works without hiccups.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 04:54 AM »
Corsair makes some pretty rugged drives.
Corsair Flash Voyager GT – Fastest USB pen drive in the world?

Tip: Try and get one whose cap isn't easy to lose.
Find me a USB Stick with a cap that isn't integrated into the design that is?  They all last about 2-3 months before they end up missing/lost/falling off/etc.  The best I found for this so far is SanDisk, and they are still easy to loose.  If that is the biggest issue, get one that swings out like my PNY XLR8. 

PNYXLR8FS.jpg

(Actually that was one of my requirements when I was looking.  I hated the caps)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 04:57 AM by steeladept »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 05:32 AM »
Interesting info...

Yes, I definitely want the speed.  But I also would like to avoid the cap.  If I keep it in my pocket, I can see the cap coming off.  Hmm...maybe the cap is the dealbreaker.

OK, so what's the fastest attached-cap drive?  Is it steeladept's PNy above?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 06:09 AM »
Find me a USB Stick with a cap that isn't integrated into the design that is?  They all last about 2-3 months before they end up missing/lost/falling off/etc.  The best I found for this so far is SanDisk, and they are still easy to loose.  If that is the biggest issue, get one that swings out like my PNY XLR8. 
 (see attachment in previous post)
(Actually that was one of my requirements when I was looking.  I hated the caps)
I like it...the only problem is that it's at least twice the price of other sticks of the same capacity!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 06:31 AM »
How about a 4GB Kingston Datatraveler HyperX?  Only about $25 (vs. $45 for the PNY).  Capless design.  Supposed to be pretty fast.
See here:
http://www.newegg.co...Item=N82E16820134615

See review (roundup) here:
http://www.testfreak...-17-drives-compared/

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 08:01 PM »
OK, I've decided to buy the 4GB Kingston Datatraveler HyperX...I'll give you guys one last chance for a rebuttal.
kingston-hyperx.jpg

OkRob

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 09:09 PM »
I've been using the Sandisk Cruzer U3 drives for a few years and I have had no issues with them, and they don't have a cap. They slide in and out of the case. I like the U3 application as well. I have 3 4 gig Cruzers now and I am adding an 8 gig Cruzer to my arsenal real soon.

Rob

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 10:05 PM »
i'm using Sandisk Cruzer (4GB) too but i had to remove the U3 thingy since it was getting in the way. before that i was using Imation Swivel which was my 1st preference because it had a lock switch like floppy disks in those days but newer Imation models don't have that anymore..

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 11:02 PM »
For all that PAP, and Fast operating Linux Distro too!?!!

OCZ Diesel 16GB.....................Enough said!

Found here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227333

:up: :up: :up: :up: :Thmbsup:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 11:30 PM »
For all that PAP, and Fast operating Linux Distro too!?!!
I didn't understand anything you said...

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 11:49 PM »
PAP= Portable Applicatios, Linux distro (ie, Ubuntu, red hat, SUSE, etc)

Trust me, once you own own one of these, you will understand when I say, I couldn't say it any plainer :P

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 11:58 PM »
Ok, thanks for clearing that up!  So...if i understand you correctly, you're saying the 4 GB is too small, I might as well get 16 GB?

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 12:06 AM »
How about a 4GB Kingston Datatraveler HyperX?  Only about $25 (vs. $45 for the PNY).  Capless design.

I actually found that my PNY device was MUCH cheaper elsewhere.  Specifically I believe I found it cheapest at Amazon, IIRC.  TigerDirect is a good place to look at as well.

Just found this article that suggests the OCZ Rally2 Turbo or the Super Talent 200x.  I know the Super Talent one was shortlisted for me last time I was looking too, so that may be an even cheaper alternative.  Additionally, Super Talent has several different form factors, many at the 200x speed.  I sort of like the Pico line myself now that I see that (it wasn't available when I was looking before).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 12:08 AM by steeladept »

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 12:10 AM »
Ok, thanks for clearing that up!  So...if i understand you correctly, you're saying the 4 GB is too small, I might as well get 16 GB?
If the speeds are equivalent, I would agree, but it looks like the speed sweet-spot right now is at the 4GB (except for one bizarre option for a 64GB according to that last link I provided)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 12:21 AM »
here's the usb drive i would get, purely for its size, so it can be put on a keychain:
http://www.amazon.co.../detail/-/B001AMI91E
31BLvl8BpHL._SL500_AA250_.jpg

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 12:26 AM »
mouser I see a little face on there as well, is that an intentional design element?> :)

You might try this one as well
http://www.amazon.co...240205207&sr=1-1

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 01:03 AM »
WOW.  The more I look at it, the more I REALLY like the PICO line of ST USB sticks!

You can get all the details from this PDF on their site.

http://www.supertalent.com/datasheets/18_75.pdf

30MB/sec (200x) speeds, no caps, water & shock resistant, small & light, but still stylish with many different style options, choice of capacities (1-16GB) in each style.

I actually got 3 of the SM Series 4GB drives from a LINUX user's group I attended.  They loaded Ubuntu on them in a particular configuration then talked about how they did it.  It is a decent drive by all accounts, though it isn't the 200x speeds.  Physically it looks a lot like the Pico A, but larger.  They were used by the speaker's company as a marketing tool, given out to prospective customers and as a thank you to existing customers.  They were branded with the company logo, so I didn't even know the were ST drives until I checked out the site.  Perhaps that can be another prize option Mouser, if you are interested in expanding beyond the mugs and hoodies.  Just a thought.  I would love a Pico with Cody gracing the outside  :Thmbsup:

here's the usb drive i would get, purely for its size, so it can be put on a keychain:
Oh, and yes, the Pico's are small enough for this.  Look at the comparison to the US Quarter - almost the same (for Europeans who never had a Quarter to compare, the stick is about as long as a one Euro piece is across.  Sorry, don't know other denominations ;))
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 01:08 AM by steeladept »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2009, 01:05 AM »
nice find kartal.  :up:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2009, 01:50 AM »
Yeah, that testfreaks website is where I'm getting all my information.  Good site.

Ok, seems like I've narrowed it down to the Kingston HyperX and Super Talent Pico.  both are capless, but the Pico is very very small.  I like that, wouldn't notice it on my keychain.  Come to think of it, newegg has a 2-for-1 special on them right now.  I think I'm getting the Pico-C gold:
http://www.newegg.co...Item=N82E16820609315
picocg.jpg