ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommend to me the BEST USB stick to get

(1/19) > >>

superboyac:
I'm finally going to try to make a portable system to carry around with me.  Can anyone recommend to me the absolute best USB stick to buy?  I don't really care about looks or price, more for reliability, speed, quality.

usually, I'll just whatever USB stick is around, i don't care.  But I was kind of wondering if there actually are differences in quality among sticks, and not just aesthetic.

Looking forward to the responses!

superboyac:
Ooo, this one looks good:

CleverCat:
Don't know if this helps but...........

At my local PC shop, a customer told the proprietor that she put her Husbands' Sahara Flash Drive (by mistake) through the washer and dryer - AND IT STILL WORKS!  ;D

steeladept:
I looked into this about a year ago or so for just the same reason.  The key here is speed.  Looks, durability, quality (to some extent), etc. just doesn't matter for a portable application stick.  Just about any very high speed stick will be top quality.  When I looked, my top choice was OCZ or Corsair.  OCZ ATV Turbo tended to eek out most of the competition for me, but either of these would be great.  That Patriot XT was a top performer as well.  Generally the smaller size sticks tended to be faster as well, so that may play a part.  I found my Portable toolbox fits in about 512MB, so I got a 4GB so I could keep a large data file and still have good speed, though the 2GB sticks would have probably been better in retrospect.

This link to Tom's Hardware suggests the Corsair Voyager GT 16GB if money is no object - interesting....

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/corsair-creates-high-capacity-high-speed-usb-stick,4894.html

Personally, I ended up with a PNY XLR8 4GB stick.  It wasn't in the top 5 speeds at the time, but it was in the top 10.  It is certainly acceptable and was quite a bit cheaper than the alternatives.  The Voyager GT was top speed demon at the time, but I liked the OCZ because it went through torture tests that included getting run over by trucks, freezing in water, boiling in water, being dropped from a two story house, and a few others I don't remember without performance being affected in the slightest.  In fact the only complaint was that it was slightly larger (due mainly to the ruggedization) and the material used to make it grip easier.  That material tended to collect a lot of lint.  For me, big deal.  In the end, if you want the best and are reasonably careful with your stick, the Voyager GT is the way to go.  If you have other requirements, there are several alternatives to choose from with nearly equal speeds.

BTW:  Here is an article either similar to, or the same one I saw (can't remember where I saw it, so it may very well be the same one)  http://www.dvhardware.net/review125_3_ocz_atv_turbo.html  Another thing to consider is do you want to buy it now with the USB 3.0 standard due out so soon?  It might take a while for the tech to propagate, sure, but it will be faster (that you can pretty much guarantee) and it should be backward compatible as well IIRC.  Just a thought...

nosh:
Corsair makes some pretty rugged drives.
Corsair Flash Voyager GT – Fastest USB pen drive in the world?

Tip: Try and get one whose cap isn't easy to lose.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version