ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to get my sound back without having to reboot

(1/2) > >>

patteo:
Every now and then, when my laptop wakes up from standby, I will find that the sound does not work. The frustrating thing is that I may have been listening to an audio just before putting the laptop on standby.

I would then check the hardware device drivers (under Device Manager. properties) and find that it appears that the sound hardware is properly enabled. Or the messge on the General Tab of properties for that driver will say "This device is working properly"

And the only way I found to fix it so far is a "Reboot."

But of course that is rather time consuming.

Has anyone found a way to fix a problem like that without rebooting ?

I'm using
Lenovo Thinkpad T8100
2GB Ram
Windows XP SP3
Device Drive is Soundmax HD Audio

app103:
First I would check to make sure you have the most up to date drivers for your soundcard.

If that doesn't fix the issue, it might be like the issue I had on my HP, which I was able to "fix" without rebooting by simply plugging in a set of earphones and then unplugging them.

lanux128:
Has anyone found a way to fix a problem like that without rebooting ?-patteo (April 18, 2009, 12:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

you didn't say anything about your OS or your audio drivers but i usually have this problem with Realtek. my workaround is to enable the "Enable auto pop-up dialog when device has been plugged in" option within Realtek's Sound Effect Manager, see screenshot for more details. so when your PC comes back from standby, you can just click 'OK' on the message box that pops-up and your sound should work.

How to get my sound back without having to reboot

patteo:
you didn't say anything about your OS or your audio drivers but i usually have this problem with Realtek. my workaround is to enable the "Enable auto pop-up dialog when device has been plugged in" option within Realtek's Sound Effect Manager, see screenshot for more details. so when your PC comes back from standby, you can just click 'OK' on the message box that pops-up and your sound should work.
 (see attachment in previous post)

-lanux128 (April 18, 2009, 01:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have updated details of my OS and sound drivers.

Unfortunately, my drivers doesn't come bundle with additional sound software or at least I don't see any around.

I'm beginning to think that it may have something to do with my ear piece being plugged into the audio jacks when I put it into standby.

So I think I may just try to unplug them just before I go into standby and see if that sort of solves the problem.

Thanks for the posts App103 and Lanux128

lanux128:
Unfortunately, my drivers doesn't come bundle with additional sound software or at least I don't see any around.

I'm beginning to think that it may have something to do with my ear piece being plugged into the audio jacks when I put it into standby.

So I think I may just try to unplug them just before I go into standby and see if that sort of solves the problem-patteo (April 18, 2009, 02:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

to check if Soundmax comes with any additional software, look for folders like: 'c:\drivers\audio' or 'C:\Program Files\Soundmax' but i guess you would have done that already. :)

some googling also returned this thread where this problem have been prevalent. so if the ear-piece thing doesn't work out, you may have to log a problem with lenovo..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version