ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Geek gadgets - Calculators...

<< < (2/10) > >>

Darwin:
No offence taken - I've not tried a 33s, so can't comment, but the HP 35s is a beautiful calculator and is touted as being a much better machine than the 33s. I bought it to get to know RPN... I haven't made much progress because I haven't had much time to play around with it (RPN) - after 25 years of AOS/EOS it seems kind of cumbersome.

I like Casio calculators too, BTW my first four calculators were all Casios (or Tandy/Radio Shack badged Casios) and I keep toying with the idea of picking up a 115ES (it's the 991ES up here in Canada) :) The TI-68 is awesome - the last great TI (non-graphing) Scientific (they made them between 1989 and 2002)... I can't stand the new ones.

Darwin:
Is bumping your own thread a faux pas  :-[ I'll live with it...  :P

Just thought I'd post to say that I'm surprised more people on DC aren't interested in calculators - these are the gadgets that got me into computing! I suspect that it is a generational thing, though - younger members are probably more excited by cell phones and mp3 players...

ewemoa:
I used to use either the following one or one of its descendents -- it was nice that I had teachers who were fine w/ me using it during tests :)

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Casio_fx-7000G

Darwin:
Thanks for sharing that, ewemoa  :Thmbsup:

cranioscopical:
these are the gadgets that got me into computing!-Darwin (April 26, 2009, 01:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
Same here.
Buying and playing with a programmable calc led me to take my first, night school computer course.
That quick sharp led me to buy my first computer.
(I couldn't stand the wait, from week-to-week, for the punch-card to print-out COBOL cycle.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version