topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 6:01 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How to capture a DOS screen with Screenshot Captor  (Read 10014 times)

w5dxp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How to capture a DOS screen with Screenshot Captor
« on: April 17, 2009, 01:43 PM »
A friend who uses Screenshot Captor told me it would capture DOS images when running under XP. I downloaded Screenshot Captor and tried it but did not capture the DOS image. How does one do a DOS screen capture? thanks, Cecil

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How to capture a DOS screen with Screenshot Captor
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 10:33 PM »
it works here, are you trying to capture a screen like this?

sc_2009-04-18_001.png

w5dxp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 06:53 PM »

No, I am trying to capture a DOS program graphic that will not run in an XP window. It will only run in full-screen DOS graphic mode. The procedure worked under ME but not under XP. thanks, Cecil

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 07:53 PM »

No, I am trying to capture a DOS program graphic that will not run in an XP window. It will only run in full-screen DOS graphic mode. The procedure worked under ME but not under XP. thanks, Cecil

And alt-return on that DOS screen won't 'window' it so you can grab a capture? Probably not if it's DOS graphics but...

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 12:45 AM »

i'm afraid currently i don't have a program that runs in full-screen DOS except for an old game (Quake) so i wouldn't be able to test the availability of this feature..

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 07:25 AM »
Have you thought of trying one of the DOS screen capture programs, like Screen Thief, two versions available here?  Not sure if they'll capture a screen graphic as well as a DOS text screen, but it might be worth trying.

w5dxp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 09:49 AM »
And alt-return on that DOS screen won't 'window' it so you can grab a capture?
-cranioscopical (April 18, 2009, 07:53 PM)

Nope, that's a difference between ME and XP. When an alt-return is entered, XP instantly minimizes the full-screen DOS image, i.e. no window.

w5dxp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 09:52 AM »
Have you thought of trying one of the DOS screen capture programs, like Screen Thief, ...

Thanks for the pointer. While running DOS (before Windows) I once used a program called "Frieze" or something like that which read the DOS screen graphic and put it in a disc file. I don't know if such will run under XP.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 12:19 PM »
i wonder if you can right click and configure the program to run in some kind of compatibility mode which would then let you screenshot it.

Alternatively, one thing that would almost certainly work would be to install a free virtual pc program (like VirtualPc or VirtualBox), and capture the image of that program running your dos game.

w5dxp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 08:06 AM »
one thing that would almost certainly work would be to install a free virtual pc program

I tried that and got a message that the personal XP operating system is not supported. I ignored that warning and succeeded in getting Microsmith to run in a virtual ME window. While trying to do an Alt-Print Screen, I got a stack overflow error. Presumably, the screen capture goes on the stack and the stack is not big enough to hold it. I don't remember much about configuring ME-DOS but it appears to me that even if I could implement the ME screen capture, it would not go into the XP clipboard.

Later ... I read how to do what I want to do on another group and it works. Boot the computer to DOS. Install Screen Thief. Run the DOS program. Do a <Ctrl><Alt><t> keystroke to send the DOS screen image to a floppy. Clumsy but effective. Thanks to everyone who responded. Best Regards, Cecil
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 10:04 AM by w5dxp »

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 01:05 AM »
I think what mouser meant was (correct me if I am wrong) run DOS and the program within VirtualBox and run the screencapture program within WindowsXP.  You then capture the VirtualBox window (which contains the DOS screen you want) within XP.

w5dxp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 07:40 AM »
On a tip from a friend, I downloaded DOSBox 0.72 and solved the problem. VIRTUALBox will probably also work.

Thanks to all. Cecil