topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:21 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Help, 2 of my favorite plugins are crashing FARR (alttab, calendar)  (Read 9454 times)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I know this has nothing to do with the plugins themselves because they were working fine. I just restarted and Farr does not want to work as long as I have the calendar and the alttab plugins are installed. I guess something is corrupted in the  windows installation that it is creating this mess here. I tried reinstalling microsoft c++ distributions but that did not resolve anything for me. Is there anything else I can do to make Farr working again with these plugins? These are the 2 I was using mainly really as far as plugin use goes.

skajfes

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What happens if you have just one of those plugins enabled?
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Same thing, Farr crashes. I am %100 sure that some of the libraries used by those plugins might be corrupted because I have couple other programs that crash. The situation isolated to couple others but it is hard for me to figure out. Can you tell me which libraries you might have used under Windows? I wonder if it is possible to debug Farr and these plugins?

The thing is that Farr crashes when I try to invoke it not when I run it first time. So probably that is when Farr checks for existence of plugins then boom it crashes without much error detail.  Here is the useless error message.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 11:58 AM by kartal »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
i recently changed something in new farr version that was fixing an old oversight and it may have broken these 2 plugins.  basically farr was passing the search keyword in the search string to the plugin, and it shouldn't.  the fix made klipkeeper start working again, but its possible that these two plugins depend on that bug and need to be rebuilt..

skajfes

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i recently changed something in new farr version that was fixing an old oversight and it may have broken these 2 plugins.  basically farr was passing the search keyword in the search string to the plugin, and it shouldn't.  the fix made klipkeeper start working again, but its possible that these two plugins depend on that bug and need to be rebuilt..

I don't think that's the problem... I have both those plugins installed and no problem whatsoever.

@kartal: Try removing both those plugins, and install some other c# plugin, like FARREnvironmentVariables or something. See what happens? If it breaks, i suspect something with c# sdk and your system is not right. If everything is alright then it is something with the plugins in question.
Also try finding c:\FARRCalendar.log or <farrinstalldir>\calendar.log or <plugindir>\calendar\calendar.log (i know i should make this better but i don't know which version of the plugin you have and I was in the middle of moving the logs between the versions...) and see if it was changed recently...

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
skajfes

the .js plugins work fine. But not the ones reference c# I think. How can I check the integrity of c# libraries on my system?

skajfes

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
skajfes

the .js plugins work fine. But not the ones reference c# I think. How can I check the integrity of c# libraries on my system?

Who said anything about .js plugins? I've mentioned the FARREnvironmentVariables plugin which is a very simple C# plugin (to my knowledge) to test the c# plugin sdk.

Anyway, try reinstalling .net framework 2.0

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
skajfes I was trying to say that non c# plugins work fine and obviously it has to do with C# plugins because FARREnvironmentVariables  crashes Farr as well.

I cannot uninstall .net2 damn WIndows does not let me uninstall or reinstall :(

skajfes

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
skajfes I was trying to say that non c# plugins work fine and obviously it has to do with C# plugins because FARREnvironmentVariables  crashes Farr as well.

I cannot uninstall .net2 damn WIndows does not let me uninstall or reinstall :(

Ah, sorrry, its late overhere, I am not thinking clearly.

try this
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -i

this should reinstall aspnet 2.0

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
MS has created and uninstall for .NET 2

it can be found here:
How to manually remove and then reinstall the .NET Framework 2.0

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
sgtevmckay

I have already tried all those methods, none has seemed to success so far

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -i' complaints that I do not have IIS installed :) having a real MS nightmare here today, catch22 all the way

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
What is your OS?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
i really doubt its a dot.net problem.. why dont you wait a day or two and let me investigate a bit before going to all this crazyness of uninstalling and reinstalling dotnet.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

What is your OS?

Can`t you tell? :) It is windows xp 64bit sp1

skajfes

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@kartal: What have you done (installed, removed, etc...) so it stopped working? did you try using system restore to restore to the point where it was working?

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I reinstalled  my whole system yesterday :( It seems to work now but some other plugins are not working like czb. Calendar and alttab is working again :)

skajfes

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hm. czb had his special modified fsubscript.js, maybe that's the problem. I often forget to get it.