ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

nudone's new pc

<< < (5/15) > >>

nudone:
well, i've never used raid at all, so i could be in for a hard time i admit. but "in for a penny, in for a pound" is what i always say. (i don't really.)

hmm, well yes, raid 5 with four disks in the usual approach but i'm thinking have super speed on the 4 disk raid 0 stiped array and then have a couple more of non raid hard drives for backup/storage purposes.

i'm used to backing things up so i'm not too bothered about raid helping me out in that respect - and if have ghost images stored on the non raid drives of the operating system(s) that are on the raid 0 drives then i'll feel safe enough.

this project is really about 'speed' and 'silence' without going into totally over the top hardware using Vapochill cases (which i would get if they were quiet - maybe they are).

i think i'm getting carried away with the speed element.

nudone:
i missunderstood how raid 0 worked - the four disk array made out of 250 gig sized disks would be overkill.

still thinking...

(nice photo, by the way brotherS.)

Black Mamba:
I have some comments:

1. If you won't upgrade to second graphic card (SLI configuration), you don't need a SLI motherboard. You could get a nF4 Ultra motherboard and save some money for other components. Also check DFI (the best overclocking motherboard) or MSI brands.
2. Are you a gamer? If you aren't, that Creative doesn't worth at all the money. I would choose an audio card based on VIA Envy 24 HT (M-Audio Revolution is a stunning card) - really better for music and movies than Creative. If you are a gamer... I still would think twice to buy that expensive card. Why? You won't get the chance to really use the superior power of X-Fi. Think about this: there are few games today to support all the features of Audigy (EAX 2) on the market... And considering that X-Fi already has EAX 5... The create a game supporting all the features of X-Fi, a producer needs million of dollars for that because implementing EAX 5 in a game is a slow and painful job. Only big companies can afford the money. But this doesn't guarantee that many games supporting EAX 5 will appear in the following future. Don't listen to all "great" reviews of X-Fi cards...  ;)

I hope I made myself clear.  :Thmbsup:

f0dder:
If you won't upgrade to second graphic card (SLI configuration), you don't need a SLI motherboard. You could get a nF4 Ultra motherboard and save some money for other components. Also check DFI (the best overclocking motherboard) or MSI brands.

--- End quote ---
I got the SLI motherboard even though I don't plan on going SLI, since it got very good speed & stability reviews. Dunno if they've used better power regulation components on the board or something? After all, two mean graphics cards draw more power than one :)

Black Mamba:
Stability and speed aren't a problem on top brands.  :)

Either you buy an Asus nF4 Ultra or SLI, you get the best.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version