ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The entitled generation....Are they right?

<< < (3/12) > >>

app103:
My thinking seems to follow what CWuestefeld just said. If all the content industries collapsed tonight we'd still wake up tomorrow with an endless supply of creative content being produced. Open source proves that would be the case, money is not the only motivation behind creativity.

Sure the entitled generation is a bad thing. And I agree yes that priacy is stealing. But if we get realistic for a moment it's naive to let those pesky moral issues come into play when the 'industries' were talking about really are just capitalist greed machines.
-Eóin (April 13, 2009, 01:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

The truth is that there was music long before there was the RIAA, MP3's, CD's, cassettes, vinyl, radio, or even money. And there will always be music, no matter what happens.

There have always been people making music solely for the joy it gives them, and then sharing that music to share their joy with others.

The RIAA is an octopus that strangles music from every direction and in every way that it can.

If you think the consumer is the only one being strangled (with DRM, proprietary formats, etc) you are wrong...dead wrong. They are strangling the artists just as much (maybe more), and in the process, they are destroying the music.

Even if the RIAA decided tomorrow to give in and give the consumer what they want (no DRM, lossless quality, etc.), and all for free, I still won't touch it.

Yes, some of us do have a sense of entitlement, and I feel I am entitled to quality music that doesn't compromise the creator's artistic integrity.

I don't want music where the artist must churn out enough stuff on the label's schedule, to fulfill contractual obligations that state they have to have a certain number of albums within a certain number of years, and then spending all their time between albums touring to promote it, as well. This leads to artists loading albums with filler crap in between the 1 or 2 good songs they have. And it burns them out. Ever wonder why so many of the great ones died from drug overdoses? Maybe this was a big contributing factor.

And I don't want to listen to stuff released by labels that decide who can & can't make an album, based solely on what crap they think the teens of today want to hear.

I'll stick with the truly free stuff...where the artists are free. They can make the music the way they want, take as long as they need, and release it when they are ready and not when some label says so. I don't mind supporting that.

Since giving up most of the RIAA produced crap, I have discovered a ton of wonderful stuff, been exposed to genres I never even knew existed because they never get played on the radio, and actually talked to and became friends with some of the artists that make the music I now love.

And I have a lot of respect for artists that choose to give their stuff away for free. They don't have to do that. But because they do, it means that nobody ever has to think of stealing music/money from the artists/labels that choose not to, and they don't have to put up with any of the RIAA's crap.

There are alternatives.

Gwen7:
I think it's interesting that there is one thing that becomes very clear every time this topic comes up.

The problem isn't the artists. And it isn't even so much the 'non-paying' customers.

The bulk of the problem is caused by the paranoia and attitude of the recording and movie industry flaks who get in between. Their continued campaign to be allowed to use increasingly intrusive 'preventive measures' - and also to be granted draconian legal remedies - has turned what was once a grass-roots protest into a technological guerilla war.

The real problem with the Entertainment Industry is that it is going through the same efficiencies brought on by technology that every other industry has experienced over the last 20 years. And when a product has transformed itself into pure digital information, there is no longer a need for elaborate distribution mechanisms to come between the producer and the consumer. And in the wake of that, it has become increasingly hard to justify having to deal with middlemen when there is no longer a valid reason to do so.

I'd be much happier paying $18 for a CD if I knew that the artists were getting the lion's share of the money. I galls me to know that the bulk of the price I pay is grabbed by everyone but. That being said, I still pay for what I listen to. I either buy media or pay for downloads. And I also subscribe to Sirius. Because if I didn't, instead of getting pennies, the artists I listen to would get nothing at all.

It will only be a matter of time before the whole movie and music 'biz' comes crashing down. And when it does, it will be due to the greed and stupidity of those industry wanks who can't bring themselves to realize that their days of unjustifiable profit from the creative talents of others is coming to an end. And since these losers will have no other place to go, I'm sure they will fight viciously to keep their sinecure as long as possible.

But I suppose this is to be expected. Pimps seldom give up 'their bitches' or streetcorner without a struggle.

zridling:
The bulk of the problem is caused by the paranoia and attitude of the recording and movie industry flaks who get in between. Their continued campaign to be allowed to use increasingly intrusive 'preventive measures' - and also to be granted draconian legal remedies - has turned what was once a grass-roots protest into a technological guerilla war.-Gwen7 (April 14, 2009, 12:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

What Gwen said. Much of this comes down to an obsolete industry trying to corporatize the internet (MySpace, Facebook, old AOL, etc.) and decide who gets internet access and who doesn't. See all the recent Hadopi laws several countries are rushing to implement. As a result, a government-granted monopoly has been infringed upon. And to those that say this represents lost sales, there is evidence that shared copies of music, for example, act as marketing for that music, and actually *increase* sales, not decrease them.

Content creators are entitled to what they can get, but not everyone wants to buy it. Some files are worth 2 cents; others, $1.29. If I don't want to pay for it, it's not in my collection. I just won't keep paying for the same thing over and over and over (because of DRM). Even Microsoft gets in on this game, which hurts the legal user more than anyone else. They know that as many as 25% of all copies of MS Office are pirated, but the marketshare is worth it because it allows them to take advantage of dupes in schools and government for easy contracts year after year.

nosh:
I find it ironic that it was technology (cassettes, CDs) that helped a lot of these artistes earn incomes grossly disproportionate to the effort put in and it's technology that's now responsible for taking a good chunk of it away.

Sorry for getting all philosophical and OT, but can most humans really afford to take a moral high-ground on _anything_ without coming across as total hypocrites? Most of us (yours truly included) have desensitized ourselves to the extent that we don't give a hoot about another creature getting its throat slit so we can stuff ourselves a little. Apologies once again for going all PETA on you but "veal cow!"These babies are put in tiny wooden stalls all by themselves.   They’re chained at the neck so they can’t turn around or move more than a step forward or backward.  All they can do is stand up and lie down.  This is done so that they don’t develop muscles so that their meat stays very tender.   Twice a day they are given some liquid food.  This food contains chemicals that will help the babies survive under these awful conditions.  Except for feeding time, they are all alone.  This is very hard on babies who are meant to be in a herd with their moms, aunts, cousins, etc.  These babies never get to play or graze or feel the sunshine of their backs or be with their mothers.  They spend their entire lives in the dark in little stalls until they’re big enough to be killed and turned into veal – usually around 16 weeks old (about 4 months).

One million baby cows are raised like this in the U.S. every year.

When the calves are old enough to be killed, they are forced to walk to trucks that will take them to the slaughterhouse.  Because they were never allowed to exercise, they have trouble walking.  People use electric prods to force them into the trucks.  When they are too weak, they are chained around the neck or one leg and dragged.
[source]

It's just a matter of time, circumstances and convenience, isn't it?

P.S. - I think this makes me a nihilist. :)

40hz:
I find it ironic that it was technology (cassettes, CDs) that helped a lot of these artistes earn incomes grossly disproportionate to the effort put in
-nosh (April 15, 2009, 01:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

You lost me on that one. How do you mean "disproportionate to the effort put in"? :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version