ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: set default printer according to ip address

(1/2) > >>

techidave:
Is it possible to code a program that will set the default printer according to the IP address regardless of which NIC is being used?

For example:
at location 1, the computer ip address is 10.1.1.x and it connects to a networkable printer via the lan.

at location 2, the computer ip address is 10.2.1.x and it connects to a local printer via the lan.

at location 3, the computer ip address is 10.3.1.x and it connects to a networkable printer via the lan.

at location 4, the computer ip address is 192.168.1.x and it connects to a networkable printer via the wireless.

I have googled this and didn't find anything that just did printers only and nothing else.  Plus most of them had a tray icon that need clicked on to change it.  I would rather not have to do that.

Something simple and easy would be great!

Thanks in advanced,
Dave

skrommel:
 :) Try NetSetMan from www.netsetman.com

Skrommel

techidave:
It has a bit more setup than I would like to see but I will give it a whirl. 

techidave:
It appears that anytime you try to hook up to another LAN or WLAN, you have to go through the setup with Netsetman before you can connect.  Not exactly what I was looking for.  For me it wasn't a big problem but for some of my other users who are technology challenged, it can be HUGE!

Or maybe there is something within the netsetman program that I am not aware of that will take care of this??

Dave

techidave:
I have been giving NetSetMan a whirl for a little bit.  it is working fine except... it doesn't automatically change profiles when the IP changes.  At least not by putting the laptop into sleep mode.  I haven't tried it by powering off and then turning back on again.

I was looking something would automatically change when it was on  a different network.  Yes some of my teachers don't do well change.  but I guess clicking on an icon in the tray and then changing to a different network shouldn't be too difficult.

I will have to see what powering off and on does to automatic changes as compare to just shutting the lid.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version