topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:18 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Website for viewing software other people use...check it out  (Read 4978 times)

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Website for viewing software other people use...check it out
« on: December 12, 2005, 12:40 AM »
http://www.myprogs.net/

takes like 10 seconds to register, then you can bump your settings up to 50 items per page, much easier to read that way.

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Website for viewing software other people use...check it out
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 02:35 AM »
Cool website... pointed me at many programs that sound interesting, will have to give it another look later

So far Google Customizer looks pretty cool, Unlocker might be usefull too... (I'd put links, but I'm too lazy right now)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 02:50 AM by Hirudin »

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 06:17 AM »
It's been a day and I've now moved "Unlocker" into my keeper list.

Tried to download an audible book, but the audible manager is a POS so even though I'd closed it the partial downloads (that I had just canceled) were "being used." Unlocker made quick work of that and I was back downloading within seconds.

Google customizer is cool, I think I'll keep it, but I'm not sure I'd even notice it if it was gone (not yet anyway).

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 06:37 AM »
Audible Manager is a complete PITA these days ... try using iTunes - it is much easier to use and the CD burning works much better!

I like unlocker too, it seems to get update pretty regularly too, and I find now it manages to unlock and/or delete things without causing the host process to bomb like it used to.

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 04:13 PM »
I can't even seem to download a whole book now...

I got about 80%-90% done last night like 3 times (and the resume seemed to just add the whole file to the end of the original).

I've got a Sandisk Sansa mp3 player; will iTunes really work with it?

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 06:05 PM »
No - I use Audible Manager for my Creative Zen Micro interface because I have to but for all other purposes I use iTunes as it is a lot less buggy. Incidentally for music sync with the Zen I use MS Media Player which works better than the Creative Software.

I really wish audible would get its act together - it hasn't yet produced a decent program - every version I have tried has been absolutely full of bugs.

Personally I don't see why they don't simply go for WMA content protection - it is stronger than the one they use now (anyone can easily convert AA to MP3 files with a $25 audio tool) and then get out of the software game altogether. People can then use any player which is WMA compatible (most except iTunes) - and these days it only excludes iPods so it would be no bad thing. The situation as it is is simply stupid. If they want to continue to support iPods they could release them in dual format with iTunes protected content format too.

thomthowolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Bad software makes me tired
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 02:09 PM »
Wow, this is really a cool concept.  Nice adjunct to this site.  Thanks for the recommendation.
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 03:51 AM »
Audible 5 Manager - updated

I got a response from TechSupport (only took them two weeks) over issues with Audible 5 software.

Apparently there is a new version out. I only knew because they told me. By trial and error I discovered that even though the automatic update doesn't detect it even when run manually you can force the update.

If you are using Audible manually run update and tick Audible Manager. Even though it says there is no update (and it isn't reflected in the final version number installed) they have actually updated the software so that CD burning now seems to work (well sort of). It's all a bit frustrating as if you have short programs to record it will only let you burn one per disc. You can select 3 or 4 short programs and add them to the burn list but only the first item gets burned.

I would say stick to iTunes for burning until it is finally sorted out - not that I use CDROMs much now my Zen Micro is finally supported.