ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What is the new desktop?

(1/3) > >>

zridling:
What is the new desktop?

Is it the:
Cloud?
Smart]phone?
Browser?
Netbook?
Blackberry?
HDTV?
Car?

Whatever it is, the economy has shut down my future upgrade plans until further notice. That's okay. Linux runs my 3-year old computer as fast as I like, along with any of these other devices. Still, the "desktop" has definitely expanded beyond my mid-tower case and 24-inch monitor. If you also include Google Android and the Linux-based Moblin platforms, even the concept of desktop operating systems has morphed into an always-on computer existence. As a result, it seems that so many of the old arguments are losing their relevance.

housetier:
The new desktop will be those smartphones once you can use them again to call people, like the term "phone" implies.

In fact I am not so sure, maybe it'll be smart dust lingering in the air wherever people are. This dust could be use to communicate, to look up things, to display information (dust density increases locally)... Yes I have been inspired by Neal Stephenson's Diamond Age (which I recommend).

cranioscopical:
The new desktop will come about through clever harnessing of dihydrogen monoxide.
Your government is deep into secret development as I write.
See this topic.

:o

40hz:
If our economy and energy problems continue, I think that this might well be the new desktop for many people.

J-Mac:
A nice Clairefontaine or Levenger notepad and a good, quality fountain pen!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version