ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

"Guest" numbering... probably the worst idea ever, but...

(1/3) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
I often "watch" the "who's doing what" feature of the forums and at times have been intrigued by interest patterns of the viewers.  Following members is a cinch (yes you are being watched... but not cataloged  :P), but "Guests" present a problem.  I often let this list direct my interest exploring DC and being able to discern if there really is interest or just the random wanderings of many "Guests" would be helpful

If it was desirable, is there a way to say enumerate "Guest0001," "Guest0002," etc. without being intrusive?  The purpose is not to be Big Brother, but to give each visitor some "identity." 

Like I said in the subject,"... maybe the worst idea ever...," but I thoght I'd live dangerously.  Anyway, what's the worst that could  happen?

Josh:
Why would you do that? That would be a waste of system resources as most times, someone visits and closes the browser. Sometimes it's via a google link, sometimes other means. How would you know when a guest changed? How long does said system have to keep track of said guests? I say  :down:

housetier:
Whats the difference between their own chosen name and GuestNNN? I mean functional difference: how does using one name over the other help with whatever you trying to accomplish?

Josh:
He doesn't care about the REGISTERED users, he wants the guests that ARENT registered that show up as "Guests online" to have Guest001, guest002, etc. This, to me, seems like an incredible waste of resources to even implement just so one person can monitor the browsing habits of people on a forum.

CodeTRUCKER:
This, to me, seems like an incredible waste of resources to even implement just so one person can monitor the browsing habits of people on a forum.
-Josh (April 10, 2009, 09:13 AM)
--- End quote ---
He doesn't care about the REGISTERED users, he wants the guests that ARENT registered that show up as "Guests online" to have Guest001, guest002, etc. This, to me, seems like an incredible waste of resources to even implement just so one person can monitor the browsing habits of people on a forum.
-Josh (April 10, 2009, 09:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Partially correct.  I did envision a wider audience than "one."  I envisioned that it might provide some demographic data on user habits.  I have to admit that I never considered the part about the Google hits.  This sheds a whole new light.  I had no idea what appeared to be a mundane task would be that costly in time and resources. 

I stated in the subject it was probably a bad idea given it had never been suggested to my knowledge, but Hey!  I learned something!  Thanks for the comment, Josh. :up:
Consider the issue closed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version