ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is your online life in your will? (Backups, passwords, etc.)

<< < (5/5)

CodeTRUCKER:

I can't imagine anything anyone writes on the Internet to be worth saving nor preserving for 'posterity'.  Most of the very contributors generally do so at the expense of their families well being. And for those who have no offspring, who'd care?

Bob
-rearly2 (April 21, 2009, 09:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

I can name over a thousand people (no joke) that have friends and family that would want the opportunity to find out what they had to say.  I don't consider myself unique, but I am persuaded that every individual is of incalculable intrinsic worth and what someone writes is treasure to another.  Writings are a window to "who" they are.

PhilB66:
I know it's an old thread but this really belongs here...

What Happens to Your Digital Life When You Die? [Video Infographic]

TaoPhoenix:
I have thought of some of this, and here's a few wrinkles.

First, the Deadman Switch risks being too aggressive. It might need to be a year! Because gawd knows I get enthused with stuff, then don't update it for 7 months. A False Positive on a Deadman Switch is a Bad Thing.

Second, the law is growing increasingly murky about liability of descendents to original's data liability, aka Copyright. In a perfect world, I'd rather leave my Next of Kin Whitelisted data (mostly!) immune from the likes of SOPA/ACTA.

There's soon going to be needed a third "Canary/Deadman" switch for if current representives are hauled away alive on bogus charges. This might need to be aggressive, such as your homepage login includes a "Canary pacifier" token, but if you don't log in for a month, it spills X data around the web.

kyrathaba:
I am persuaded that every individual is of incalculable intrinsic worth and what someone writes is treasure to another.  Writings are a window to "who" they are.
--- End quote ---

+1, CT  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version