ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is your online life in your will? (Backups, passwords, etc.)

<< < (3/5) > >>

Dormouse:
What's wrong with letting someone you trust know what your password is and where your backup data is stored? In such a case, isn't this the same as having valuables in a lock box? :huh:
-DDRAMbo (April 21, 2009, 01:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

It means that your security becomes no better than their security (actually worse since there is then the combined risk of their system or your system being accessed by someone else).
Also means that you are giving them access NOW, which may not be what you want.

wraith808:
^ This.  And when in the absence of your influence, best laid plans about what happens to your data after you pass can go awry...

rearly2:
Just be careful how you define "die".

A cheap crook in, I  think Utah recently, knew he was on his deathbed and hoping to get special dispensation, confessed to an otherwise unsolved murder.

Imagine his chagrin when he made a full recovery "from deaths door", only to be handed over to the police for his crime and to stand trial!!

I can't imagine anything anyone writes on the Internet to be worth saving nor preserving for 'posterity'.  Most of the very contributors generally do so at the expense of their families well being. And for those who have no offspring, who'd care?

Bob

4wd:
It was a Windows application called Dead Man's Switch.
-40hz (April 10, 2009, 10:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

The only obvious problem to that program was that it was required to be running on a PC - how many of your relatives are going to leave a PC running in your house after you snuff it?
The damn vultures will be in there and picking at your stuff before your corpse has cooled.

Unless the time out was set to a really short time, (24 hours at most I would think), it's probably not very useful.

Although I do like the idea that it'll encrypt data automatically on time out, it would probably have been better to encrypt it in the first place.

Fear not:

My Last Email
Dead Man's Switch
The Rapture Letters
The Post-Rapture Post

DDRAMbo:
A friend of mine who I was seeing on the sly, suddenly went off-line from chat claiming she was seriously ill. During the next few days, I continued to leave messages of my concern, deep concern if you know what I mean.  :-* The days grew into a week. I can't call her since in the worst case scenario the phone would be answered by someone I don't wish to speak with obviously. If anyone else gets on her computer to check her chat records to see if there is someone that needs to be contacted due to her impending or actual death, my days of concerned chat will come bubbling to the surface like vinegar and baking soda as the first things that they see. It could be humiliating and harmful to either of us in the wrong hands.
Well, I'm hoping that she's fine. Since we met this is the longest we've ever gone without contact at least through chat. I need her in my life, and I would be devastated if she expired, but it would be even worse if I found out through someone else who was investigating our chat. I know that she didn't use a password for the chat program, or anywhere else on her machine. In this case, the security would be better off Kept from Everyone. This is one possible negative consequence of all this concern.
I'm still waiting for her to contact me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version