ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm Steaming About Steam

<< < (3/4) > >>

Lashiec:
The Steam client had a few problems remembering the password for me. The first time was when I purchased something via the site, instead of using the client. When it launched the program, I was asked about my password, something normal. But when the following day, I launched the client, it asked about the password again, even when last time I checked the box for remembering the password. The second time, that it happened, it was completely random, though, I was told to type the password, even if I did not uncheck the box for remembering the password anywhere, nor did I launch the client from any other place than the desktop link

Fortunately (for what tinjaw and Crush tell us), I did not have to talk with the Support Team yet, so fingers crossed.

While complaining about Steam, why is it that buying the physical and presumably more costly boxed game in a local store is easily about half the price you'd pay online?

This whole Steam business is the biggest swindle being forced on us by capitalists in a long time. There is no competition so games are being 'rented' to us at prices far in excess of anything we were paying before.
-Eóin (April 10, 2009, 06:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

That depends. I don't know how is the situation in Ireland, but in Spain you don't save anything buying in a store compared to Steam. Of course, except certain offers, and the games published by a specific company, I always buy PC games online, as it's much cheaper to get them in the UK, for example, than buying it in any store of the country or Steam.

I do like Steam, it offers a bit more convenience than physical purchases, and it has another features that make it worthy (the community, achievements, etc.), but I never used it to buy new games, except indie ones. I buy the Weekend Deals whenever I feel like it, and I love that I can purchase old games unavailable elsewhere, but the prices are anything but competitive, and it's not like it lacks competition (Impulse, GOG...), but it seems there's a pact between game companies and physical retailers to not set prices lower in Steam to avoid mining their business. I'm sure than both Valve and the companies making business with them are not too sad to make the customer pay the full price, instead of subtracting the costs they save by distributing things digitally.

At least you own the games (Valve could do better in this respect, though), something that won't be possible if a service like onLive works as advertised.

tinjaw:
That's quite a horror story :/

Sucks that there isn't any proper support! So... pray tell, what was the problem & solution? You found the lost password, or was it something sneaky?
-f0dder (April 12, 2009, 06:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

I installed a new firewall/IPS/proxy system on my network  a few weeks ago and typo'd on one of the packet filtering rules. I wasn't properly letting UDP traffic pass on a few ports.

tinjaw:
As for the general topic of buying games online, I prefer it to traditional physical box retail sales. I use Steam, Direct2Drive, Impulse, and GOG.

wraith808:
As for the general topic of buying games online, I prefer it to traditional physical box retail sales. I use Steam, Direct2Drive, Impulse, and GOG.
-tinjaw (April 13, 2009, 08:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

I do also.  I haven't bought from GoG yet, but I do plan to support it.  Steam is my most used platform, followed by Direct2Drive (which I actually like a bit better since you get actual game files that you download, though Steam is more convenient).  I use Impulse only when I have to.  It's a bit too much for a gaming platform IMO, and I prefer the minimalistic approach of the others vs Impulse's bloated client.

f0dder:
Steam sometimes forgets my password, but I think that's because I share the account with p3lb0x - my guess is that steam "forgets" my password if he's been logged on from his IP.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version