ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

new programmer possibly

(1/1)

alias tyler:
Well i found an interest in computer programing...only bad thing is i dont know where to start
my goal is to make some sort of an app for the iphone(possibly a game)
they mentioned objective c and mac os x and i know nothing about that or what they mean
in my case what would be a good language to be my starting language and if you could give any insight on maybe what kind of books to read stuff on so i can understand programing better

thanks in advance

Ehtyar:
iPhone dev does require using Apple's Mac OS X operating system and knowledge of the Objective-C programming language. You also need the iPhone SDK from Apple, which is a free 1.7 GB download, though to put apps on the store will set you back USD$99.

As for where to where to start with programming, there are many threads already on this which can be located using the search function, although most of the regulars are more than happy to have the discussion again.

Good luck :Thmbsup:

Ehtyar.

wraith808:
Partially, but not totally true. 

The fee is $100 (standard) or $300 (enterprise) to become a (SDK) developer.  The Standard Developer can distribute apps to the AppStore; the Enterprise Developer can distribute without the App Store (for Enterprise level applications for in-house users).  The important thing that it allows you to do other than this is to compile SDK Apps directly to your iPhone.  This is important because features like altitude detection, volume control, and the accelerometer don’t work correctly when tested in the iPhone Simulator.

From iPhone in Action (a book that I'd recommend)
There are two ways you can develop for the iPhone. One approach is to write web pages for mobile Safari, using HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and your favorite dynamic language. The other is to write native applications to run directly on the iPhone, using Objective-C and the iPhone SDK.
 We strongly believe that each programming method has its own place, and that you should always ensure you’re using the correct one before you get started with any iPhone project.
--- End quote ---

Of course web pages don't need to be distributed, so that's a big advantage in money and (possibly) audience.  It really depends on what you're planning to develop in the end.

HTH!

alias tyler:
thanks for all the help is it ok to learn objective c before the c language?
and XGN is a framework righT?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version