ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

On developer's block, and calling it quits. Being a programmer is hard

<< < (3/3)

cmpm:
Being appreciated and helping others is a big part of the attitude in any job I believe. Along with good people to work with helps a lot.

It don't matter if you are selling or service or giving things away. It's the giving that counts, and the satisfaction of the one being gave to is thankful. Because whether or not you get paid for it, you are giving your time, talent and energy into whatever you are doing. It's not a waste, as others benefit from it. And it's nice to hear about it too.

I'm a custodian/janitor at our local school system. And hardly hear anything except when something got missed or is dirty or some other mess. I used to be self employed and made 3 times as much as I do now. But after 9-11 the window cleaning I was doing was for residential mainly and it killed it for the rest of that year. I held on for 2 more years till I had to get another job. Over 20 years of doing windows, which is still a bit active, a few calls a year. Time for a change I think. Looking back.

Anyway there was immediate appreciation and results seen in window cleaning, but not so much in what I'm doing now. It was a big change in my life. But as I became more thankful, I put more in to what I was doing and it shows to the others I work with as well as the teachers, but they still don't say much. But when they do I'm thankful to hear it.

So anyway I guess what I'm saying is there is satisfaction that can be gained in any job. Try not to get held back by the amount of money made or what you are doing, but how much of you is going into it will be seen.

More money would be great, but that we don't have full control of.

There is hurtles in every occupation. Be it programming or whatever. New ones too. If we think about what we have to do too much it's like we already did it, and that is tiresome.

cranioscopical:
I'm a custodian/janitor at our local school system. And hardly hear anything except when something got missed or is dirty or some other mess.
-cmpm (April 09, 2009, 06:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
Without you and your colleagues the entire system would soon grind to a halt!
It's good to see people sustaining a positive attitude in the face of little appreciation.

mrainey:
Even if I liked it after learning the job, I got bored with it and moved on.
--- End quote ---

That's me too.  I went through twelve jobs in twenty-eight years.  Laid off twice, all the other job changes were by choice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version