ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Should I switch from xp to vista?

<< < (3/8) > >>

bgd77:
So, when will we see 128 bit PCs? Are there any 128 processors on the market, for servers (and OSs)?

Dormouse:
64 bit is probably where the future is going. Though Microsoft has never been good at predicting the future - not even its own behaviour in the future. But, if you want well supported now, then 32 bit is the only place to be.

I have both types of OSs. All the machines can run 64 bit. But apart from looking out of curiousity, I only run 32 bit Windows. Linux 64 bit. Only running 32 bit Windows 7. Although the future may be going in that direction, the performance advantage is not noticeable in real life and the driver/compatibility issues that come up from time to time make it not worth the effort. No such problems at all with 32 bit.

That said, it is really, really good for other people to be running ahead of the game. ;D ;D ;D

f0dder:
Why are you considering switching? Is XP64 giving you problems?

Personally, XP64 does the job fine. If my machine crashed today, I'd probably install Vista64 on it, though. But if it doesn't, which I kinda hope :), my next upgrade will be Win7-64.

nite_monkey:
Why are you considering switching? Is XP64 giving you problems?

Personally, XP64 does the job fine. If my machine crashed today, I'd probably install Vista64 on it, though. But if it doesn't, which I kinda hope :), my next upgrade will be Win7-64.
-f0dder (April 09, 2009, 07:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
well I'm not having problems with xp x64 (other than my stupid bluetooth adapter) I just wanted an operating system that was still supported by the world.
You can look at different programs, and they will have a 32 bit version, and then the only 64 bit version is vista, not xp. (one example microsoft's live writer, vista x64 only, not xp x64)

f0dder:
If it works on Vista64, it'll likely work just fine on XP64 as well...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version