ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Should I switch from xp to vista?

<< < (2/8) > >>

sgtevmckay:
Unknown.

If you follow the development threads at MSDN, the idea is to completely phase out 32 bit OS by Microsoft, utilizing Windows 7.

This has become the folks at Redmond's mandate.

Unfortunately I have not had the extra computer for beta testing Windows 7, So I am unaware that there is a 32 bit version.

Logic dictates a 64 bit environment, and 64 bit OS have been around almost a decade.

I stand by my recommendation.

I would not Downgrade to Windows XP Pro for the XP 64, and I am a huge fan of Pro, I honestly thought Microshaft got something done right for once.

That being said, i would not shell out the money, I would get together with people I know and see if someone has an extra liscense, or is tossing and old system with License and software, but I would not go out and spend the money.

I would also run as a dual boot.

Bottom line is the 32 bit environment is dying, for better reference, check history. Look under 8 bit, 16 bit all within twenty years.

Frankly it is a shame that systems have not completely 64 bit already.
Do not let the screw ups of one product halt advancement.

Another Example, how long have game consoles been 64 bit?

I understand that there are folks still using windows 98 and older, but if you are a gamer, you will want to move to 64 bit, and the gaming consoles are proof of this.

Also understand that Microsift maybe pushing the 64 bit thing now, but I have old linux distros that were 64 bit 8 years ago.

So it is nothing new.

I remember folks complaining about XP just a few years ago, I am waiting for folks to cry about their Vista as well. Though seriously I seriously think that Vista will go the way of the Millennium Addition

32 bit is dieing!

nite_monkey:
The closest I'm going to get to xp 32 bit is the virtual machine that I use pretty much only to transfer stuff from my phone to my pc since my bluetooth adapter doesn't work well in 64 bit.

I guess I will skip vista and goto windows 7 when it gets released.

I hope 7 is only 64 bit. Maybe then people will stop using 32 bit and start making 64 bit programs. It might also fix problems with not finding 64 bit drivers, since your only choice is a 64 bit OS.

sgtevmckay:
Agreed

bgd77:
From what I have heard, Windows 7 will be the last Microsoft OS that will have both a 32 and a 64 bit version. The next one will be only 64, probably.

If I were in your place I would do what sgtevmckay suggested: wait for Windows 7 (the 64 bit version ;)).

Deozaan:
Another Example, how long have game consoles been 64 bit?
-sgtevmckay (April 08, 2009, 08:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

From my understanding, game consoles were only 64-bit for 2 generations. PS2, N64 and Nintendo Gamecube were all 64-bit. Oh yeah, and the Atari Jaguar, if you consider that a game console. If I recall correctly, all of the major consoles are already on 128-bit processors (and the Dreamcast was 128-bit ahead of its time!).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version