ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Should I switch from xp to vista?

(1/8) > >>

nite_monkey:
So right now I have xp x64 with 4 gigs of ram.
I like to play games on my computer (that is the main thing I do on my computer)
Most of the world (including microsoft themselves) don't really support xp 64 bit much anymore.
So my question here is, should I switch to windows vista, and if so, should I stick with 64 bit, or loose some of my ram and use 32 bit.
I don't know that I want to switch or not though, because my brother has vista x64 on his computer at work with 4 gigs of ram, and the computer is new and a fairly good computer, and he says it runs kind of slow. I want to be able to play games still, but I would like to have an operating system that is still supported by the world.

Bottom line: Windows vista(x64 (supported by the world, xp x64 not supported by the world)) should I switch, or just stick with my xp x64?

4wd:
So right now I have xp x64 with 4 gigs of ram.
I like to play games on my computer (that is the main thing I do on my computer)
Most of the world (including microsoft themselves) don't really support xp 64 bit much anymore.
So my question here is, should I switch to windows vista, and if so, should I stick with 64 bit, or loose some of my ram and use 32 bit.
I don't know that I want to switch or not though, because my brother has vista x64 on his computer at work with 4 gigs of ram, and the computer is new and a fairly good computer, and he says it runs kind of slow. I want to be able to play games still, but I would like to have an operating system that is still supported by the world.

Bottom line: Windows vista(x64 (supported by the world, xp x64 not supported by the world)) should I switch, or just stick with my xp x64?
-nite_monkey (April 08, 2009, 06:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Downgrade to XP 32bit?

Almost all of my LAN meeting, game playing, fellow night loving friends still use XP Pro 32bit over every other version of Windows.

Of the 2 or 3 that use a laptop that came with Vista, they've all gone back to XP Pro.

Dormouse:
if you want 'supported by the world', it has to be XP 32bit.

sgtevmckay:
The world is going to go 64 bit (period), It is just a matter of time, and I foresee the majority will be 64 bit within 18 months, regardless of the state of the economy.

I would also look for and exodus to Windows 7 within the year.
As I understand it Windows 7 will be a 64 bit environment only.

That being said, I would not "upgrade" to Vista 32 bit.
We are so close to a release date for Windows 7, I would wait.

You already have the 64 bit environment, and apparently you have learned to work within it's parameters. therefore I would suggest staying there.

I would spend the money better in getting my system ready for windows 7, and apparently you mostly are, and not waste the money on downgrading at this point. nor would I spend the money to "upgrade" to the latest Vista 32 or 64 bit.
If you can get a dirt cheap copy of XP Pro, or get a license and software from someone dumping a system cool, but I will not go out of my way.

stay where you are, and wait a little bit for Windows 7

Deozaan:
As I understand it Windows 7 will be a 64 bit environment only.
-sgtevmckay (April 08, 2009, 07:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Isn't that what they said about Vista? And if it is true, then why are there 32bit Windows 7 beta versions?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version