topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: What's the Most Accurate Burner?  (Read 7564 times)

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What's the Most Accurate Burner?
« on: April 08, 2009, 12:10 PM »
I am looking for the most accurate cd/dvd burning software that is Vista (Win7) compatible.

I bought Ashampoo Burning Studio when I first tried Vista as my older (but beloved) Nero 6 was incompatible. I really liked Burning Studio for the most part, keeping it even though I abandoned Vista and went back to XP. That was until 2 weeks ago when I tried burning the Windows 7 Beta ISO. I couldn't get the DVDs written in Burning Studio to install. I tried several times, burning at the slowest speed. So, I reinstalled Nero and tried that. Nero burned the image correctly the first time.

I will now be using Windows 7 so, once again, I'm looking for a compatible burning software. I no longer trust Ashampoo. I don't need audio burning capability as I use J.River Media Center for that. So, what is the most accurate burner out there, free or commercial? I've already read an old thread here on burning sw but it doesn't specifically address compatiblilty with Vista or above, and/or accurracy.

Lolipop Jones

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What's the Most Accurate Burner?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 03:42 PM »
I totally love "Prassi ONES" currently available at ww1.tx-software.com
Today's problems were yesterday's solutions....

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 11:30 PM »
That really depends just what you want to burn. Each does some things well; none really do ALL things well. Of course that is true in many areas.

E.g., I use CloneDVD and AnyDVD for backing up my DVDs for a long time but I recently started using another in that family - CloneCD - for my DVD and CD backups. But it doesn't do general CD ripping or data disk burns. It does, however, create exact 1 for 1 copies for backup/archival using RAW Mode. It's CD copies conform to Redbook standards. But as I said it is only for certain burns. I have been using Imgbrn or CD BurnerXP for all other burns on my computer.

I have used Nero Ultra (up to V7) and Roxio Creator but they both force large suites of a lot of useless apps on you. Plus "indexing" services that are as difficult to disable or remove as the original RealAudio junk.

Jim

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 04:16 AM »
Hi Folks,

InfraRecorder
http://infrarecorder.org/

has a nice interface is an open source product, supported with a forum, that has made some ISO stuff for me with no muss or fuss.  (e.g. PartedMagic, Bart-PE types of stuff).  Sounds similar to what you are doing.

It probably misses advanced features, however if it is sufficient for what you need -- it was the best I found when looking at the freeware group (which probably has 5-10 worthy softwares). So I give it an A+ recommendation.  With burning stuff interface is important, it is easy to get confused by the lingo.  Too much complexity can get in the way.

And I also used MagicDisk, a freeware thing from Magic ISO "creating and managing virtual CD drives and CD/DVD discs".  Oh, kewl.  That explains why I have a "Client Access" E:\ in Total Commander.  (I wondered how I got that there :-) )  However that is a specialty thing, it may help if that is a need .. hosting your CD-ISO as a drive on your main disk.

Shalom,
Steven
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 04:18 AM by Steven Avery »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 09:02 AM »
have you tried CDBurnerXP? it has been around for some time now but i'm not using Windows 7 so i wouldn't know about its performance.

Windows 7 support ?

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 03:55 PM »
Hi Folks,

Yep, CDBurnerXP was the other freeware I marked with excellent in my notes.  My next tier included BurnAware Free, DeepBurner Free, Starburn Free (Pro=$10), ISOBurn, ISO Recorder, ImgBurn, Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 (thread on DonationCoder), BurnCDCC (iso burning only, simplest), JetBee Freeware (Complex Evolution folks who also have a Total Commander plugin.).  That is the list I have of freewares that can burn .iso.  A little head-spinning as there are a lot of features and these are generally pretty heavy-duty.

CDBurnerXP or InfraRecorder should be close to perfect for the light-to-moderate .iso need, if they work properly on Vista (haven't checked, what's 'Vista'). ImgBurn was also looked at very highly here.   Suggestion start with those three, but some of the others above look like doozies too.

Here are three of the threads.

Re: Your fav' audio CD burner?
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=13263.0
(With the links to most of the above.)

Which free burning software can you recommend? 03-2009
https://www.donation...opic=14126.msg156718

Re: Recommend Vista CD Burner
https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=8826.0    

Shalom,
Steven

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 08:48 PM »
almost the same list for me too, i normally alternate between InfraRecorder (freeware), ISOBurn (freeware) and Ashampoo Burning Studio (free reg during promo).. all three work for me quite well on WinXP. :up: