ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Free support ends for Windows XP and MS Office 2003

<< < (4/5) > >>

cranioscopical:
The gates are closed for maintenance, look for a Gateway.
-PhilB66 (April 10, 2009, 07:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
;D

Holy Moses!  I guess it should be one of those tablets.

Day 2: still waiting for a reply. Second e-mail sent. Angry
-40hz
--- End quote ---
Still nothing?

CleverCat:
I sent them an e-mail asking for a clarification. I'll post their response here when I get it.
-40hz (April 08, 2009, 03:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
You can do that from the grave??

-cranioscopical (April 08, 2009, 11:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh Chris - you just made my day!  ;D

40hz:
Ok.

Terrykim Jin of Microsoft finally got back to me with the bad news. (The grammar is a little dicey in places, but I think it's still pretty clear. )

Looks like free support for Win XP Pro ends on April 14,2009 regardless of which service pack you are on.

Here's the official word (my emphasis on key info added):

Dear Ed,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Support Service. My name is Terrykim Jin, and I am glad to work with you. For your reference, the case ID for this service request is SRX1098936905. You can contact me directly by sending an email to [email protected] with the case ID in the subject line.

First, I would like to apologize for your support request being unexpectedly delayed. Please be assured you have successfully contacted the correct support team and I will be working with you to address your concerns as quickly as possible.

From your description, I understand that you would like to know the mainstream support information for Windows XP. If there has been any misunderstanding, please let me know.

I understand the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured that I will do my best to help you.

Regarding to April 14, 2009, according to information we currently received, I would like to explain it as below

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Mainstream support will be stopped at April 14, 2009

2. Mainstream includes following things

1) Security Updates: Microsoft will stop new security updates development from April 14, 2009 step by step. Of course, basic updates will still offered.
   2) Windows XP Service Pack 3 free support will be stopped at April 14, 2009. After April 14, 2009, the support service will be charged. Generally, free support for Service Packs should be 12 months after it's first launched.

3. Support service for XP will be stopped until 2014.

Since we are Windows XP system tech support side, for latest information, you can contact our Microsoft Customer Service for further consult.

Microsoft Customer Service (800) 426-9400 is available Monday through Friday, from 6:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Pacific Time.

Note: Microsoft Customer Service mainly handles issues regarding replacement manuals, disks, drivers and service packs, product IDs, lost CD keys, product orders, policies related to copying software on additional computers, licensing, and product registration.

If there are any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me.

I look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

Terrykim Jin
[email protected]
Microsoft Windows Support Professional

-----------------------------------------

Satisfied customers are my top priority.
--- End quote ---

So there you have it. :(

What I find interesting is the statement: "Generally, free support for Service Packs should be 12 months after it's first launched." This contradicts the 24-month SP support window referenced on the website.

I suspect that generally is the operative the weasel-word here. By saying  'generally' I guess they mean you'll get free support on a service pack for 12 months after it is released - unless they change their mind and decide you won't.

Well...that clears things up rather nicely, don't you think? ;D

mwb1100:
What I find interesting is the statement: "Generally, free support for Service Packs should be 12 months after it's first launched." This contradicts the 24-month SP support window referenced on the website.
-40hz (April 11, 2009, 12:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

The confusion about 12-month or 24-months of support for service packs probably comes from the fact that Windows service packs get 24 months of support, while service packs for other MS products (Office, etc.) get 12 months of support. 

See question 19 in the FAQ here http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy. Note that the 24 or 12 month support window starts from the time the *next* service pack is released.

Also note that the FAQ indicates that service packs do not extend the overall life-cycle support time line for a product:

When support for a product ends, support of the service packs for that product will also end. The product’s support lifecycle supersedes the service pack support policy
--- End quote ---

So this indicates that Terrykim Jin's explanation of the the general Service Pack support policy for Windows might not be quite correct, but he (or she) is correct that service packs do not extend the overall life-cycle support of Windows.

40hz:
Day 2: still waiting for a reply. Second e-mail sent. >:(
-40hz (April 10, 2009, 12:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
For better service, please pay a Bill at the pearly gates.

-cranioscopical (April 10, 2009, 02:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, I understand there won't be any more heading up to the Pearly Gates for any of us after April 30th of this year.

Microsoft's Latest Technology Takes Heaven by Storm

Starting May 1st, 2009 all new discorporate entities will be synchronized with their heavenly counterpart using the new Microsoft Extremely Remote Cloud Server with SoulSync Technology and backed up on a regular basis.

At the official unveiling of this exciting new technology last week, Steve Ballmer said, "This is a very exciting time for Microsoft. This new patented technology has finally allowed us to crack the very competitive spiritual/virtualization market, thereby bringing major benefits to our customers and investors. EEEEE-YAHHHH-HAH!!!"

Mr. Ballmer then danced a bit for the audience before taking questions from an extremely supportive crowd.

There was only one dissenting comment during the entire Q&A  which came from an elderly woman sitting in the back row. "Suppose I don't want to be syn...synchro...whatever you call it? Suppose I just want to go up to see St. Peter the way we used to?"

Mr. Ballmer replied with characteristic heat "Look it's not a requirement that you use our product. But as far as I'm concerned, anybody that doesn't want to take advantage of the significant benefits that SoulSync Technology has to offer can just go to..."

Mr Ballmer's comment was interrupted at that point by a studly Microsoft staffer, who hit Mr. Ballmer over the head with a laptop. Mr. Ballmer was then quickly carried off the stage by a medical team that had apparently been waiting in the wings all along.

With Mr. Ballmer gone, and the Q&A period officially ended, strobe lights began to flash as area DJs took the mike to get the celebration party underway..."
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version