topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Free support ends for Windows XP and MS Office 2003  (Read 13586 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Free support ends for Windows XP and MS Office 2003
« on: April 08, 2009, 10:18 AM »
Just a heads up in case you aren't aware of it.

On April 14, 2009, Microsoft will be ending it's Mainstream support for Office 2003 and WIndows XP Home and Professional editions. Extended support will remain available until April 8, 2014.

For many customers this won't be too big a deal since security updates and access to non-interactive web support (i.e Knowledgebase and product support pages) will remain free until the end of the extended support period.

But after April 14th, you'll need a credit card if you want to phone, e-mail, or chat with Microsoft about your WinXP/Office2003 support issues.

Thank goodness for Donation Coder's forums! ;D

------------

BTW: Microsoft maintains a FAQ and extensive directory of lifecycle/support information for all of its products.

Microsoft Lifecycle Support Index: http://support.micro...gp/lifeselectindex#O

Microsoft Support Lifecycle Policy FAQ: http://support.micro...ft.com/gp/lifepolicy

Both are worth checking out if you're responsible for providing tech support to anyone whose MS applications are getting a bit on in the years.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 10:21 AM by 40hz »

gexecuter

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Move over and give us some room...
    • View Profile
    • Elite Freeware
    • Donate to Member
Re: Free support ends for Windows XP and MS Office 2003
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 10:42 AM »
I have never used microsoft support.
Mouser is made of win and awesome!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 11:18 AM »
not going to miss the *free* support from Microsoft. :huh:

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 11:35 AM »
Not entirely correct... Support for Windows XP Service Pack 2 is until July 2010

more @ http://support.micro...efault.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];lifesupsps

Support for the following will end on April 14, 2009:

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Service Pack 0
Windows Server 2003 R2 Service Pack 0
Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1
Windows Server 2003 R2 Datacenter Edition (32-Bit x86) Service Pack 0
Windows Server 2003 R2 Datacenter x64 Edition Service Pack 0
Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition (32-Bit x86) Service Pack 0
Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x64 Edition Service Pack 0
Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition (32-bit x86) Service Pack 0
Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition Service Pack 0
Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition (32-bit x86) Service Pack 1
Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition for Itanium-Based Systems Service Pack 1
Windows Server 2003, Datacenter x64 Edition Service Pack 0
Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86) Service Pack 1
Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition for Itanium-based Systems Service Pack 1
Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition Service Pack 0
Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86) Service Pack 1
Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition Service Pack 0
Windows Server 2003, Web Edition Service Pack 1
System Center Essentials 2007 Service Pack 0

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 11:38 AM by PhilB66 »

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 01:07 PM »
It was expected but the real question is: how long will it be possible to activate my copy of XP?

Will I need to use strange cracks someday?

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 02:38 PM »
I'd have thought that one of the final updates will be to remove the requirement to activate.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 02:56 PM »
I'd have thought that one of the final updates will be to remove the requirement to activate.
Even if they could do that (I don't think they will) you need running XP to install an update. I know I can try to play with nLite and slipstream all patches BUT it has real problems with Polish Windows version which I have.

In theory: you've got 30 days to activate but it has never been working for me. If I skip activation during install I have no chance to do it later. It is always saying right after installation that time to do so ended.

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 03:04 PM »
I thought the 30 days to activate meant that after 30 days you start to get features locked out. I can't imagine why you couldn't activate at any time.

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 03:09 PM »
Even if they could do that (I don't think they will) you need running XP to install an update. I know I can try to play with nLite and slipstream all patches BUT it has real problems with Polish Windows version which I have.

In theory: you've got 30 days to activate but it has never been working for me. If I skip activation during install I have no chance to do it later. It is always saying right after installation that time to do so ended.
-fenixproductions (April 08, 2009, 02:56 PM)
Perhaps they could make an official patch available; you'd just need to take care to keep it in case of reinstall, though it's possible a copy or two might find their way onto the web  ;)

Or they just set their servers to automatically validate anything, even if the code is 1AMAT 413FA ND15T 0L3T4 15XP1

Please, please don't try to validate with that code  ;)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 03:31 PM »
Not entirely correct... Support for Windows XP Service Pack 2 is until July 2010

more @ http://support.micro...efault.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];lifesupsps

Interesting. (Good catch PhilB66. :Thmbsup: )

Looking at the note for XP with the various service packs on the Support Index I'd have to agree with you, although why they couldn't just spell out an actual date puzzles me. But I also ran into two two places on the MS website where they seem to contradict that  'SP release date + 24 months' note. So...

Sod second guessing these guys.  ;D I sent them an e-mail asking for a clarification. I'll post their response here when I get it.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 11:54 PM »
I sent them an e-mail asking for a clarification. I'll post their response here when I get it.
You can do that from the grave??

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 12:13 AM »
One of the nice things about getting my PC from Dell Small Business was that for the length of my support contract (3 years-Oct 2011) I get full support from them for not just the hardware but whatever OS's my system came with too (both XP & Vista in my case) even if Microsoft drops support. And I don't have to go through Microsoft to get it. I pick up the phone and call Dell. And if it's an issue that can't be resolved over the phone, they will send someone to my house within 24 hours to fix it for me.

I have only had to use Dell's support once so far, when reinstalling drivers for my sound card went a bit screwy. The woman I spoke with was polite, friendly, and very helpful, unlike tech support experiences I have had with other companies where the person you talk to has an accent you can't understand and is reading from a script. The one at Dell actually knew stuff and it wasn't scripted.

This is one of the reasons why I would buy another computer from Dell Small Business again. (can't speak for the support you get with a home consumer product though, as I have never had one from Dell)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 12:05 PM »
I sent them an e-mail asking for a clarification. I'll post their response here when I get it.

-cranioscopical (April 08, 2009, 11:54 PM)

I may well find out.  ;D

Day 2: still waiting for a reply. Second e-mail sent. >:(

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 02:22 PM »
For better service, please pay a Bill at the pearly gates.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 07:38 PM »

-cranioscopical (April 10, 2009, 02:22 PM)

:D

I guess support ended way long before April 8, 2009.

The gates are closed for maintenance, look for a Gateway.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 07:42 PM by PhilB66 »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 09:17 PM »
The gates are closed for maintenance, look for a Gateway.
;D

Holy Moses!  I guess it should be one of those tablets.

Day 2: still waiting for a reply. Second e-mail sent. Angry
-40hz
Still nothing?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 09:19 PM by cranioscopical »

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2009, 06:10 AM »

-cranioscopical (April 08, 2009, 11:54 PM)

Oh Chris - you just made my day!  ;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2009, 12:28 PM »
Ok.

Terrykim Jin of Microsoft finally got back to me with the bad news. (The grammar is a little dicey in places, but I think it's still pretty clear. )

Looks like free support for Win XP Pro ends on April 14,2009 regardless of which service pack you are on.

Here's the official word (my emphasis on key info added):

Dear Ed,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Support Service. My name is Terrykim Jin, and I am glad to work with you. For your reference, the case ID for this service request is SRX1098936905. You can contact me directly by sending an email to [email protected] with the case ID in the subject line.

First, I would like to apologize for your support request being unexpectedly delayed. Please be assured you have successfully contacted the correct support team and I will be working with you to address your concerns as quickly as possible.

From your description, I understand that you would like to know the mainstream support information for Windows XP. If there has been any misunderstanding, please let me know.

I understand the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured that I will do my best to help you.

Regarding to April 14, 2009, according to information we currently received, I would like to explain it as below

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Mainstream support will be stopped at April 14, 2009

2. Mainstream includes following things

1) Security Updates: Microsoft will stop new security updates development from April 14, 2009 step by step. Of course, basic updates will still offered.
   2) Windows XP Service Pack 3 free support will be stopped at April 14, 2009. After April 14, 2009, the support service will be charged. Generally, free support for Service Packs should be 12 months after it's first launched.

3. Support service for XP will be stopped until 2014.

Since we are Windows XP system tech support side, for latest information, you can contact our Microsoft Customer Service for further consult.

Microsoft Customer Service (800) 426-9400 is available Monday through Friday, from 6:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Pacific Time.

Note: Microsoft Customer Service mainly handles issues regarding replacement manuals, disks, drivers and service packs, product IDs, lost CD keys, product orders, policies related to copying software on additional computers, licensing, and product registration.

If there are any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me.

I look forward to your reply.

Best Regards,

Terrykim Jin
[email protected]
Microsoft Windows Support Professional

-----------------------------------------

Satisfied customers are my top priority.

So there you have it. :(

What I find interesting is the statement: "Generally, free support for Service Packs should be 12 months after it's first launched." This contradicts the 24-month SP support window referenced on the website.

I suspect that generally is the operative the weasel-word here. By saying  'generally' I guess they mean you'll get free support on a service pack for 12 months after it is released - unless they change their mind and decide you won't.

Well...that clears things up rather nicely, don't you think? ;D

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2009, 01:05 PM »
What I find interesting is the statement: "Generally, free support for Service Packs should be 12 months after it's first launched." This contradicts the 24-month SP support window referenced on the website.

The confusion about 12-month or 24-months of support for service packs probably comes from the fact that Windows service packs get 24 months of support, while service packs for other MS products (Office, etc.) get 12 months of support. 

See question 19 in the FAQ here http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy. Note that the 24 or 12 month support window starts from the time the *next* service pack is released.

Also note that the FAQ indicates that service packs do not extend the overall life-cycle support time line for a product:

When support for a product ends, support of the service packs for that product will also end. The product’s support lifecycle supersedes the service pack support policy

So this indicates that Terrykim Jin's explanation of the the general Service Pack support policy for Windows might not be quite correct, but he (or she) is correct that service packs do not extend the overall life-cycle support of Windows.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2009, 01:07 PM »

-cranioscopical (April 10, 2009, 02:22 PM)

Actually, I understand there won't be any more heading up to the Pearly Gates for any of us after April 30th of this year.

Microsoft's Latest Technology Takes Heaven by Storm

Starting May 1st, 2009 all new discorporate entities will be synchronized with their heavenly counterpart using the new Microsoft Extremely Remote Cloud Server with SoulSync Technology and backed up on a regular basis.

At the official unveiling of this exciting new technology last week, Steve Ballmer said, "This is a very exciting time for Microsoft. This new patented technology has finally allowed us to crack the very competitive spiritual/virtualization market, thereby bringing major benefits to our customers and investors. EEEEE-YAHHHH-HAH!!!"

ballmer.531.jpg

Mr. Ballmer then danced a bit for the audience before taking questions from an extremely supportive crowd.

There was only one dissenting comment during the entire Q&A  which came from an elderly woman sitting in the back row. "Suppose I don't want to be syn...synchro...whatever you call it? Suppose I just want to go up to see St. Peter the way we used to?"

Mr. Ballmer replied with characteristic heat "Look it's not a requirement that you use our product. But as far as I'm concerned, anybody that doesn't want to take advantage of the significant benefits that SoulSync Technology has to offer can just go to..."

Mr Ballmer's comment was interrupted at that point by a studly Microsoft staffer, who hit Mr. Ballmer over the head with a laptop. Mr. Ballmer was then quickly carried off the stage by a medical team that had apparently been waiting in the wings all along.

With Mr. Ballmer gone, and the Q&A period officially ended, strobe lights began to flash as area DJs took the mike to get the celebration party underway..."

« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 01:14 PM by 40hz »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2009, 01:13 PM »
So this indicates that Terrykim Jin's explanation of the the general Service Pack support policy for Windows might not be quite correct,

Swell. Even they get confused. :-\

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2009, 03:34 PM »
Good spoof, 40hz  ;D

Microsoft's Latest Technology Takes Heaven by Storm
With Mr. Ballmer gone, and the Q&A period officially ended, strobe lights began to flash as area DJs took the mike to get the celebration party underway..."

It's only fitting.  Rolling Stones in... Rolling Stones out.  Start Me Up... Get Off Of My Cloud.