ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Misbehaving Tray Icon

(1/3) > >>

siouxdax:
Hello folks:
Yet again I've got another gem of a puzzle to throw your direction. So here it goes: I have a Griffin Technologies PowerMate which I adore and use every day. When I start up my desktop, its (pointless) icon appears in the system tray. The issue is that when I set the icon to always hide (see attachment), it will not remember this setting, and therefore shows back up in the tray (unhidden) when I next restart. A friend of mine thinks this is due to the fact that in the "customize notifications" section of "taskbar and start menu properties" (again, see attachment) the item is listed as "<no title>". I think he may be on to something since everything with a name behaves perfectly.

So my question would be: Is there a "backdoor" solution to this? Maybe a registry edit to name the entry?

-->>Just in case: in the attached pic the icon I'm referring to is the silver button-like icon. If you check out the link to Griffin Technology above you'll see what I mean.

As usual, any help/input/suggestions, etc are very much appreciated!

cranioscopical:
No help from me, I fear.
Do you mind a question instead?
Do you use this with another pointing device attached as well?
If so, any conflicts?

Good luck with the icon hiding.

siouxdax:
The only other pointing device I use with the PowerMate is my wireless mouse, but they don't conflict with one another. They in fact work quite smoothly together...

PhilB66:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm (download and run both scripts on line 53, when done, restart explorer and run the "Save Settings on Exit" script from line 54)

siouxdax:
PhilB66:
Yikes! Scripts scare me for some reason. I guess because I know nothing about them. But their descriptions sound like the answer. I think I can muster up the balls to do it though. :) Thanks for the input!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version