ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Desktop progress meter

<< < (15/22) > >>

skwire:
What do you think of a dynamic update of the meter display (if already shown) when the configuration is changed-Scott_Y (January 18, 2013, 03:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

The only obstacle is my own apathy.   :P  It would take some fairly significant code refactoring (as compared to the current code) but it's nothing hard or anything like that.  I'll try to find the time to do it.

Scott_Y:
I understand, skwire. Things like that present a barrier. In the meantime, v1.0.6  is a significant improvement over earlier versions -- much easier to use -- and I'm quite pleased with that. It is helping me keep focused on several projects.

Scott_Y:
What do you think of a dynamic update of the meter display (if already shown) when the configuration is changed-Scott_Y (January 18, 2013, 03:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
The only obstacle is my own apathy.   :P  It would take some fairly significant code refactoring (as compared to the current code) but it's nothing hard or anything like that.  I'll try to find the time to do it.
-skwire (January 23, 2013, 04:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
I've just discovered that Alt+B updates the meter display, so as a user who favors keyboard control over the mouse, I now feel less need for the meters to be updated dynamically because I don't need to click the refresh button to get results. You can demote my request accordingly. (Note by the way the awkward ergonomics of mouse control for Save and Refresh: Upper-left corner for Save, then lower-right corner for Refresh. That was the motivation for my requesting dynamic refresh.)

Two wishes for improved use:
1. Add keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+S for Save (easier than the current Alt+F, S) and F5 for Show/Refresh Meters (easier than the current Alt+B because it is a single key) -- both are common shortcuts for those functions, therefore natural here.

2. In the Configure Meter Bars, add a % column to the right of the Number and Total columns. The reason is that this is the primary interface of Barbecue, so if % were displayed, the user might never need to go to the Meter Bar interface anyway. Currently, however, % is shown only in the Meter Bars.

skwire:
Before running this version, make a backup of your meters.xml file in case the new Percentage column blows things up.   ;)

Website | Download
v1.0.7 - 2013-02-07
    + Added Ctrl+S hotkey to save file.  (Thanks, Scott_Y)
    + Added "Duplicate meter" functionality to the toolbar, Edit menu, and the Ctrl+D hotkey.
    + Added Percentage column.  (Thanks, Scott_Y)
    * Moved the "Show/refresh meter bars" button to the toolbar, Edit menu, and F5 hotkey.  (Thanks, Scott_Y)

Scott_Y:
v1.0.7 is wonderful! Very easy and smooth for keyboard control. :-* Thanks, skwire!

Everything seems to be working properly, and my data from v1.0.6 came through intact. The Duplicate Meter function is very useful. For example, I use a customized off-white background for all meters; with Duplicate I don't need to configure that color for every new meter.

F5 works well for Show/Refresh. I'll embarass myself :-[ by revising my own suggestion to something like Ctrl+R instead, to fit with the other shortcuts Ctrl+N, Ctrl+S, and Ctrl+D (for example, one could save and refresh with the sequence Ctrl+S, Ctrl+R). Either way is fine, it's up to you skwire.

Again, thanks for such a nice, functional utility.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version