topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 10:18 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Paragon Drive Backup 9.0 Personal Freebie Today Only  (Read 4446 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Paragon Drive Backup 9.0 Personal Freebie Today Only
« on: April 08, 2009, 01:34 PM »
http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

The Paragon drive backup they are giving away is the same Personal Edition v. 9.0 that I have.  It has Folder Exclusion, so you can opt out of backing up large dispensable folders, like DVD images etc..

It's the same edition I paid $40 for with the exception that there's no support or free update.

Paragon tends to only have one update anyway, then they come out with a new major version number(at least that's been my experience with this product.. been using it since 8.5)

I've restored with it from USB external drives 4 or 5 times so I can say it does work, at least on HP desktops I've owned.

You need fast internet.  The download is 241 MB and includes both 32 bit and 64 bit versions.  Also the product has an .iso CD image for the boot CD.  You need to download and install before the deadline.  However, once it's on the system, if your HD should crash, you boot from CD and restore the image from USB external or whatever.. so you don't have to reuse the serial number.  It's already "installed" when restored just like all your other programs.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 01:36 PM by MilesAhead »

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Paragon Drive Backup 9.0 Personal Freebie Today Only
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 01:43 PM »
However, once it's on the system, if your HD should crash, you boot from CD and restore the image from USB external or whatever.. so you don't have to reuse the serial number.  It's already "installed" when restored just like all your other programs.
Unless you do something like reinstall your OS or upgrade to Windows 7 in a few months.

I'm not sure if it is legal to reinstall it at a later date if you did the first time on the GOTD date. Sometimes you can capture the install code using an install logger like Zsoft or Total Uninstall.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Paragon Drive Backup 9.0 Personal Freebie Today Only
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 03:08 PM »
However, once it's on the system, if your HD should crash, you boot from CD and restore the image from USB external or whatever.. so you don't have to reuse the serial number.  It's already "installed" when restored just like all your other programs.
Unless you do something like reinstall your OS or upgrade to Windows 7 in a few months.

I'm not sure if it is legal to reinstall it at a later date if you did the first time on the GOTD date. Sometimes you can capture the install code using an install logger like Zsoft or Total Uninstall.

So if you want to be able to reinstall, pay $40.  What's the issue?
Geez.

If you're determined to be able to get to factory condition reinstall,
then do a reinstall with the restore set from your PC and make an image.
To me it's not an issue.  by the time W7 is released you'll prolly want to get
a PDBU v. 10 that will undoubtedly have more features in the personal edition.
This way you can wait 'til then.  When I got the v. 8.5 it was %$50, v. 9.0 was $40, so v. 10 will likely be $35 or less.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 03:12 PM by MilesAhead »