topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA:Auto-boot Up computer after power outage?  (Read 13248 times)

p5chin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA:Auto-boot Up computer after power outage?
« on: April 07, 2009, 05:16 AM »
Scenario:
I have a computer with Asus M3A78-EM Mobo. Also I have the PC connected to a UPS (uninterrupted Power Supply) which can provide power backup for about 15 minutes. I have frequent power cuts; duration ranging from 10 minutes - 90 minutes 4 times a week; I run (want to) the PC non-Stop for days for downloading stuff & various other things.

The problem:

When power outage lasts more than 15 minutes, the UPS cannot hold it and so system powers down. I cannot power on the system unless I am physically present beside my PC.

What I want to accomplish:

I want a way to make the PC automatically power on when power comes up after power outage..either it can be BIOS setting or a software or a combination of softwares. If this is done, downloads n remote session can continue once pc boots up.

The things I tried to accomplish this but not successful are:

1. Browsing net & wandering over the computer shops to find a UPS with RS232 or serial port so that it can be connected to PC's serial port & configure power settings in windows xp such that UPS triggers PC to power on.
Result: There is no such UPS ( I am pretty sure earlier models of APC home UPS, around 9-10 years ago... had this feature).

2. Tried various softwares such as Auto power-on etc, etc
Result: These softwares can make the system power up automatically only from Hibernation state and not a fully powered down state.

3. Explored and collected Details on Wake-on-WAN feature for turning on the PC over WAN.
Result: somewhat confusing data. Also I have Dynamic IP so I cannot know what IP was assigned by ISP (once modem powers up after power outage) to be used for send Wake-on-WAN magic packets over net.
Tried tieing my dynamic ip with dyn dyns but not useful as PC needs to be up for dyndns to be updated with my new dynamic ip.

I request anyone who knows a way to accomplish this to let me know a way to wake my PC over WAN.

Some SUGGESTIONS:

I have noticed LAN port glows even when computer is shutdown, PC connected to power socket. Can there be a software made Such that PC can reboot at specific time if LAN port is active. I doubt Wake-on-LAN, Wake-on-WAN works based on this but not sure. any help would be useful!! :)

Thanks
p5chin

More info on PC if needed:

(AMD AM2 x2 6000+, MB:AsusM3A78-EM;4GB Transcend 800MHz RAM; UPS: APC BackUPS 500))
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 01:30 PM by p5chin »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA:Auto-boot Up computer after power outage?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 05:45 AM »
great question.. i'm curious to hear what others suggest.

i think you are onto the solution already and have most of the pieces of the puzzles figured out.

it seems to me that one solution might be:
  • set up wake on lan/wan on the pc
  • since you have a dynamic ip, you can't wake up your pc from a computer connecting to the pc from OUTSIDE your house, where you might be.
  • BUT you should be able to set up a local laptop which was always on (and having a battery is unaffected by power outages) to ping the LOCAL (and thus always stable ip) address of this pc, waking it up if it shuts down due to power outage.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 06:19 AM »
There are various wake on lan solutions which can send a remote wakeup broadcast to the computer. Other options, in most modern bios systems, have an option for you to set the state of the computer after wake up. I would look at your BIOS settings under either power management or advanced chipset functionality. There is likely an option

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 06:21 AM »
this is an interesting topic and i'm looking forward to suggestions and ideas. btw, p5chin have you taken a look at this thread?

Turning a pc on and off remotely

skrommel

• Fastest code in the west
  • Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • 1 Hour Software by skrommel
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 07:37 PM »
 :) Read part 2.5.3 on Restore on AC Power Loss of the manual at http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket939/A8N5X/e2138_a8n5x.pdf

Skrommel

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 07:42 PM »
skrommel post!!!

by that i mean "yippee!! skrommel has posted to the thread!".. which officially makes this thread special :)

ps. skrommel your avatar image is messed up.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 07:44 PM by mouser »

p5chin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 11:27 AM »
HI all,

Thanks for all of you for your inputs especially skrommel.!!!!!!

Found a solution to my problem by digging BIOS:

In the BIOS (all latest MOBOs have this, I think..) there is Advanced Power Management (APM) there is option like this:

Restore from AC power loss  [always off | always on | last state]

I set this to always on, saved config, pulled the AC plug, and replugged it the PC booted directly..without having to push the power-on button in the case.

If someone wants to have to look at the BIOS, i uploaded the BIOS page here:

http://img19.imageve...-M3A78_122_872lo.jpg

I will use this till I find  elegant way..that is: PC powers down or hibernates when PC runs on APC battery-->UPS powers off --> system power up when AC power restored.

-p5chin
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 09:00 PM by p5chin »

p5chin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 05:02 AM »
I will use this till I find  elegant way..that is: PC powers down or hibernates when PC runs on APC battery-->UPS powers off --> system power up when AC power restored.

I m planning to get a APC BACK-UPS ES 650VA INDIA !! which is $65 (Rs.3300) including tax:

http://www.apc.com/r...0Y-IN&tab=models

Missed this while trying to get through computer market here, coz...the stores dont get good profit margin with APC guys here --> so they dont even mention it --> even when asked about this specific model they say 'not available' or 'cant be purchased here'---> so got a dealer name from chat support and then a retailer name from him.
many other local branded UPS are getting 'pushed' to customers here... which I am wary ...about..their quality (dies just after a year).
My friend's 3month old APC-UPS died (which is very rare in APC)..it was replaced the next day evening!
So Finally...zeroed in on a good APC-UPS!!
--This combined with BIOS setting should iron the glitch: harddrive getting hit when AC power from UPS is cut off without proper shut down

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 08:54 AM »
What's wrong with using "restore power on AC power loss", if that option does resume after a clean shutdown?
- carpe noctem

p5chin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 08:59 PM »
What's wrong with using "restore power on AC power loss", if that option does resume after a clean shutdown?

Yes, No problems with that!! But When I am not beside my computer & when power goes down & when existing UPS battery backup times out...computer will just power off (this is not proper shutdown)....so It is better to get a UPS which can initiate shtdown in pc via USB!
- this is why I m planning to sell my existing UPS n get a new APC UPS with usb n software to control MY comp!!  :)