ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Finding developer projects and other work in this economy

<< < (3/4) > >>

wraith808:
I'm on linked in and have a profile, but it hasn't really generated any job leads.

kartal:
Well the reason you will probably never get one from those kind of sites is that everyone there is trying to promote themselves. Same for myspace or facebook. I never use any of them because they are waste of time, unless you have joined them in the beginning. Then probably there were some opportunities.

Those sites are all sellers market , no buyers there.

I'm on linked in and have a profile, but it hasn't really generated any job leads.
-wraith808 (April 07, 2009, 11:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

wraith808:
I think it could be used to generate leads, but in general, I just go with headhunters.  I'm trying to build up my hosting presence, so from that perspective if there are small business owners, it could help.  But I've really not followed up and relied on word of mouth for clients.  So I don't think it's a function of the site, but more that I haven't used to resources for networking as it could be.

40hz:
Those sites are all sellers market , no buyers there.
-kartal (April 07, 2009, 12:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not quite true for LinkedIn.

It's more of a buddy system - although some have called it another manifestation of the "Old Boy" network.

Obviously, successful and highly credentialed individuals will initially fare better at a place like LinkedIn than the average lumpen-worker. Success attracts success as the saying goes. But you can build a reputation and contacts even if you're not one of the 'shooting stars.' It will just take longer and require a bit more tact.

You need to approach LinkedIn more like you would a social network rather than a job/opportunity site. It's all about professional relationships. Unfortunately, generating 'relationships' has always been more time-consuming than just gathering 'leads.' But it's vastly more beneficial in the long run.

I only 'went in cold' for the first job I had after graduating college. Every other position I ever held after that was brought to my attention by somebody I knew. As I got to know more people, and they me, the money and opportunities that came my way got progressively better. So much so that I was eventually able to launch my own business with the financial resources and contacts I had accumulated over the years as a salaryman.

I'm not endorsing the "Ya gotta know people, Kid!" school of success. But I'm also enough of a realist to realize that most people prefer to work with people they know - or their friends know - rather than a complete stranger.
 :)

40hz:
But I've really not followed up and relied on word of mouth for clients.
-wraith808 (April 07, 2009, 12:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd be dead without 'word of mouth' clients. My company gets all its customers that way.

We only advertised once when we were just starting out. The only thing that ad generated was an avalanche of calls from job-seekers or people that wanted to sell us something. I've heard the same story from several people we work with who also own their own businesses.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version