Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site December 22, 2014, 04:38:56 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

View the new Member Awards and Badges page.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tech News Weekly: Edition 14-09  (Read 2224 times)
Ehtyar
Supporting Member

That News Guy

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: April 05, 2009, 01:01:11 AM »

The Weekly Tech News
Hi all.
I hope you all enjoy the clip on No 11, courtesy of app103.
As usual, you can find last week's news here.

1. DNA Database Grows Faster Than Forecast

2. US Supremes Flatline Virginia's Hardline Anti-spam Law

3. New Method for Detecting Conficker Discovered, Debuted

4. UKBA to Exchange Fingerprints With US

5. Unpatched PowerPoint Flaw Spawns Trojan Attacks

6. Microsoft and TomTom Settle Patent Dispute

7. Chinese Cyberespionage Network Runs Across 103 Nations

8. The Beast Unveiled: Inside a Google Server

9. France Approves Main Section of Tough Anti-P2P Bill

10. Police Track DNA of a Cotton Bud Maker for Two Years

11. Whose Line Is It Anyway - Living Scenery With Richard Simmons (Thanks App)

Ehtyar.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 06:59:29 AM by Ehtyar » Logged
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 06:41:01 AM »

8. so if I had the correct transformer could I simply hook up a 12v battery to my computer tellme no, I guess not - you'ld have to have some way of getting it to kick in. I dont understand how that is more efficient energywise than a UPS but probably cheaper?
Re cooling - I dont know where they have their servers but somewhere cold would seem logical (Alaska?!)

10. I thought for a minute that the employee was the serial killer ... seems odd too that one person would be connected to all these cotton buds - but I presume it's those medical ones on a long thin piece of wood, so maybe not quite so odd

11.  Grin Grin

Tom
Ehtyar
Supporting Member

That News Guy

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 06:47:01 AM »

8. so if I had the correct transformer could I simply hook up a 12v battery to my computer tellme no, I guess not - you'ld have to have some way of getting it to kick in. I dont understand how that is more efficient energywise than a UPS but probably cheaper?
Re cooling - I dont know where they have their servers but somewhere cold would seem logical (Alaska?!)
I believe the shipping containers that house the servers are of the refrigerated kind, but indeed it would seem to be more environmentally friendly to simply house your servers somewhere in Alaska (still, spare a thought for those of us who need Google on the other side of the planet tongue).

10. I thought for a minute that the employee was the serial killer ... seems odd too that one person would be connected to all these cotton buds - but I presume it's those medical ones on a long thin piece of wood, so maybe not quite so odd
Hrm, I shall make that clearer in the post I think. The connection to that many crime scenes doesn't really surprise me, though you'd have to wonder how many other employees have been implicated in how many other crimes due to these circumstances..I'm not one to willy-nilly dispense my DNA to the authorities (quite the opposite in fact), but I think in this case I'd be rather eager to do so.

Ehtyar.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.041s | Server load: 0.23 ]