topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Widgets?  (Read 10221 times)

Rhu

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Widgets?
« on: April 03, 2009, 07:53 PM »
I've been trying everything I could but I can't seem to get my widget, "Informer", to stay on top of the area I block out using DesktopCoral. It works if I move it to that position while Coral is already running but when I restart my computer or log out/in again it is just pushed out of the way.

There anything I can do to make it stay put, or perhaps future releases supporting it?

http://widgets.yahoo...com/widgets/informer Link to informer widget.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Widgets?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 08:08 PM »
Have you tried checking the option in Desktop Coral marked: Preserve Desktop Icon Locations (experimental)?

It was designed for similar purpose, but it probably won't work, so..

I think your best bet might be to get yourself a startup manager tool that let's you set the ORDER of startup programs and put desktop coral before your widget tool.

Utilities that let you change startup order:

I'll give some thought to adding an option in Desktop Coral to protect position of all windows.. it could be done.

Rhu

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 09:02 PM »
Yes, I did try that but it doesn't work for widgets.

Thanks though for the links, I was looking for a program to do exactly that. I'm sure it will fix my problem for now.

Rhu

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 11:28 AM »
Alright, so I messed around with Startup Delay a little bit and it works fine but it still doesn't really fix my issue because when I shut down DesktopCoral actually shuts down before my widgets and what this does is kick my widget out of the way before it closes. So even though Startup Delay works fine when starting up, before I shut down it removes my widget and so it's just an endless loop of placing and replacing my widget in it's place.

• The second link you posted me is coming up in error.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 03:17 PM »
That second link is an error because it is locked out for donators of DC only, but it was a link to a discount for Chameleon Startup Manager.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 03:24 PM »
And if the first program doesn't help, neither will chameleon.

can you explain a bit more what you say is happening when you exit.. you're saying that if you exit desktop coral, that act pushes your widget out of the way? even if you exit desktop coral manually?  that confuses me.

Rhu

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 05:29 PM »
Yep, the widget is pushed back onto my main monitor when I close DesktopCoral, manually or during shutdown. Not really sure what other info I could provide about it.

Dual monitor 22" each, 1680 x 1050 native.
DesktopCoral is placed on my 2nd monitor and put on the top edge of my screen, then I place my widget on top of it. Closing DC pushes my widget back onto my main monitor. Not sure why though.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 09:58 PM »
it might help to see a screenshot of the before and after of desktop coral before and after exiting.

the problem is:
i may be able to fix desktop coral when starting up to not affect placement of anything already on screen.. but how to stop the widget from readjusting when desktop coral exits is out of my control? actually i suppose i could..

can you confirm: if instead of exiting desktop coral, you simply right-click and say "undock" does the widget still readjust itself like it does on desktop coral exit?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 10:00 PM by mouser »

Rhu

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 01:18 PM »
Alright, I took some screenshots and tried your undocking. It does push my widget out of the way with undock as well.

• Settings: http://img522.images...p?image=settings.png (Just to show you what I have set up, I was using startup but disabled it for now.)
• Before: http://img522.images...php?image=before.png (I highlighted my widget in yellow to make it more obvious to what you are seeing.)
• After: http://img529.images....php?image=after.png

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 04:55 PM »
in the future you might want to just attach images to your post -- makes it a bit easier.
but, seeing as how it pushes your widget out of the way on undocking, that's a good sign; that means i should be able to fix.

KriLL3

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 02:03 PM »
This also applies to vista/7 gadgets, I've reserved the top of one of my monitors to show stats of various sorts, (time, date, email notifications etc) and it works fine until DC is restarted, oddly enough rainmeter isn't affected, it sits happily where I put it.