topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:53 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Tutorial creation help from folks using CD on 64bit Platforms  (Read 6638 times)

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Hello CD Goers

I am in the middle of writing up a full tutorial of/for CircleDock.
Unfortunately all I have are 32bit OS's to work with.

Has anyone tried CD with Vista 64 or Windows 7?
If so can you tell me any differences in the install, or behavior of CD in 64 bit environments.
What issues you may have had, or over come in the install and use of CD in the 64bit environment.

The tutorial I am working will be an "unofficial" at this time, and will be released for absolutely free.
I intend to release a downloadable PDF, and hopefully post parts of the tutorial here.

All help would be greatly appreciated
also please list whether or not you would have your Donationcoder.com username listed in the credits of this tutorial

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 01:14 PM by sgtevmckay »

kaernesto

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Tutorial creation help from folks using CD on 64bit Platforms
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 12:25 AM »
Hi,

Circle Dock works fine under Windows7 64 Bit (Beta 7000). The only thing, I've Problems are Shortcuts to some Programs in 'Windows/System32' such as 'C:\Windows\System32\WacomTablet.cpl'. This shortcut works fine as normal Link, but in CD I always get a '?'. I've tried to correct the path manually and tried to put the Program directly from the explorer to CD, it doesn't work.

Greetings k

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 12:28 AM »
Thank you, I appreciate your coming forward and assisting me.

You problem is an interesting one, and If I come across th esolution during my tutorial writings, I will advise.

Thanks again :Thmbsup:

X_FiLeS

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 03:25 PM »
Hi sgtevmckay,  I use Windows 7 Build 7100, I don’t have any problems using CD on my Win 7, I have noticed when I was dragging an icon from windows explorer to the CD  which was  a game  icon, it would show only as a “?” so I created a shortcut on the desktop and then dragged the Desktop shortcut to CD and now it showed as the game icon and it executed the game when I clicked on it with my mouse, other than that CD is running 100% faultless on my computer.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 03:27 PM by X_FiLeS »

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 03:29 PM »
Thanks

It is nice to get some feed back on the 64 bit environment.  :-*

A suggestion from one of our other CD goers, is to take all the alternate drive programs, make a file of shortcuts to the C drive (this file can be placed anywhere in the c drive), and then make links to the shortcut in CD.

This would avoid flooding the Desktop with shortcuts that you already have in your CD  :P

X_FiLeS

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 03:33 PM »
My suggestion to that would after you have dragged the shortcut to CD all you have to then is delete the shortcut on the desktop, because you don’t need them once they are on CD.

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 03:39 PM »
If this has been working for you under Windows seven, then this is something of note.  :huh:

In XP and Vista, if you make a link to a shortcut, and then delete the shortcut you linked to, then in CD you get a ? mark, or worse the link is gone altogether.

Essentially it would break the chain after deleteing from the desktop.

I am curious if this does work, and what method you utilize to build your CD shortcut links.
Maybe it is something we are doing wrong, that you are doing right, that allows you o delete the desktop shortcut when you have esteblished the CD link?

If you are willing I would appreciate some quick notes on how you are building your links to non primary drives  :)

X_FiLeS

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 03:47 PM »
As an Example: what I do is I go to start  > All Programs >  Flashget / then I find Flashget exe and right click and drag it onto my desktop and then it opens a dialog box and I click Create Shortcut and the shortcut is on my desktop, then I drag the Shortcut to CD, and delete it from my Desktop, and it works 100%.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 03:52 PM by X_FiLeS »

X_FiLeS

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 04:11 PM »
Hi sgtevmckay, try this, go to all programs go to say MS Office right click Word drag it to your desktop and click on create shortcut here, now drag it to CD and delete from your desktop and you will see that the Word is still on CD and if you click on it you will see word open, when you drag the icon from the desktop it will link to the word.exe in c:/Microsoft Office Directory and not the shortcut link on your Desktop.