ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

CHS runs, but doesn't work

(1/3) > >>

pyramid36:
When I boot my PC (WinXP Pro SR2), CHS runs but the icon doesn't appear in the taskbar. 
Sometimes, by using the "bring to front" feature in Process Explorer by Sysinternals, I can get the application to appear.  However, if I minimize it, the icon disappears from the Taskbar and the only way I can get it to display is by using PE.

If I click on CHS in Programs, it starts a new session and the icon appears in the taskbar for 1-2 seconds then disappears. 

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling which results in the application running properly until I reboot. Then I'm back to the situation described above. 

I use CHS quite a bit (or would, if it worked OK) and would really like to get a fix. 

I should also say that it worked fine for some time after I bought it, but somewhere along the way this problem popped up.  I can't associate the problem with anything I've done, though, between updates from Microsoft and other installations, there may be a conflict somewhere.

BTW, after I did the last uninstall, I checked the registry and there were still references to CHS, but I'm not savvy enough to know if they are part of the problem.

mouser:
Question:
If you exit the program and then restart it manually does it then show up in system tray?  In other words, is the disapearing icon phenomena only a problem when the program is started with windows? If so, that's a clue and I think i can track down and fix the problem.

pyramid36:
The only way I can stop the program is from the Task Manager (ctrl | alt | del).  However, once it has been terminated and I start it again, the icon remains in the Task Bar.

Ken

mouser:
Right ok -- so thats confirmed the problem is that when CHS starts up too soon after boot, the icon problem occurs -- this has happened in the past so i hope i can fix.

donationcoder092807:
Dear All,

This looked like a good place to post on the problem I am currently experiencing.  This is on a Windows Vista machine that has benefited from CHS for a little over 2 years.  No recent changes come to mind for me--no new installations, no recent Windows updates, etc.

CHS appears to launch at start-up fine, with icon displayed as usual in the system tray.  However, no key combinations activate functions of CHS and the tray icon (while displaying the correct mouse-over reminders) is not useful to access the application: nothing opens upon any click.

Although I haven't bothered to check in the past, now I notice that CHS is using about 50% of system CPU (Intel Core Duo @ 2 GHz) and 6.5 M of memory.  Like for Ken, from April 2009, I cannot close CHS from within the application, but have to kill the process.  If I relaunch from the Start Menu folder, the same behavior is seen.

I did uninstall, download the currently-available version (listed as 1.27.01), and try again, with the same results.  (I use DcUpdater, so I probably had the same version before uninstalling.)

I haven't noticed any other application behaving strangely.

Let me know if you have any suggestions, or if you know of a thread elsewhere I should follow.

Luke

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version