ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

OS Re-install Tips?

<< < (12/13) > >>

4wd:
I always back up my Firefox profile every day so it's ready to put back after reinstall! Saves hours of work...

4wd I'm having problems transferring my FF profile to the portable one - any tips? Copying it over doesn't seem to work... :(
-CleverCat (April 07, 2009, 02:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

In what way?

Run PortableFirefox once so it can set up the directory structure.

Copy everything in , (I'm going to get this wrong since I haven't used the normal version for well over a year), "x:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default.???????" to "<path to>\FirefoxPortable\Data\profile".

So you end up with all the various directories and files in the profile directory as per:

OS Re-install Tips?

Then delete the file "<path to>\FirefoxPortable\Data\settings\FirefoxPortableSettings.ini" and then run PortableFirefox again.

That should be all.

Also, from the help:
Sometimes, certain profiles will cause the launcher to fail or hang. It's best to give it a few minutes to see if it's just checking compatiblity and adjusting the locations of the extensions before giving up on it. If it fails, it is usually due to an incompatible extension.
--- End quote ---

40hz:
I always back up my Firefox profile every day so it's ready to put back after reinstall! Saves hours of work...

4wd I'm having problems transferring my FF profile to the portable one - any tips? Copying it over doesn't seem to work... :(
--- End quote ---

@CleverCat

The easiest way to do it is with the FEBE add-on.

Link: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2109

Just install FEBE and set it to backup your full profile. Copy your archived profile to a CD and then use FEBE to restore it on your new installation.

FEBE should be installed on every copy of Firefox. :-*

Coeluh:
Is it difficult to make a windows xp install cd which automatically installs apps like firefox and other stuff?

Shades:
You could nLite your current XP install CD for an unattended install, including all Microsoft patches/updates/servicepacks.

That alone makes re-installing a system a lot less intrusive to whatever you planned to do in meatspace. However, since you are creating a new install CD...why not make it a new install DVD, including all tools you require/desire in a separate folder structure. That way you can install very quickly.

For the truly lazy, there is software to help with that as well.

CleverCat:

--- End quote ---

Thanks 4wd - all good now...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version