topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: OS Re-install Tips?  (Read 41687 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: OS Re-install Tips?
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2009, 03:26 PM »
I'm not real up on imaging or the genesis term.  So I have some research & reading to do too.

Sorry about the genesis term. Just me trying to sound educated.

From Websters:
    Latin, from Greek, from gignesthai to be born

I use genesis to denote the first or original image created after a fresh install as opposed to any later ones. A friend of mine refers to his as incept images.

BTW -My extremely educated girlfriend just rolled her eyes and said "Why don't you label them XP-Image#1 and XP-Image#2? and be done with it?" I'm tempted to reply that we could...but where's the fun in that?  On second thought...maybe I'd better not.

How do I backup my emails in Thunderbird other than MozBackup? That's the number one concern I'm having at the moment.

There was a write-up recently over at gHacks.net about a no-install application called MailBrowser Backup which works with Thunderbird. More info and the download can be found here:

http://alancla.110mb...g/mailbrowserbackup/

I've downloaded it and used it to backup TBird - but I haven't used it to restore anything yet. I'll have to test that when I get a minute. Backup was very quick, producing a 4Mb backup file.

MailbrowserBackup.gif

It looks like a nice little app. So far, it only (allegedly) works with Chrome, Firefox, and Thunderbird, but the developer has plans to support additional browsers and e-mail clients later on.

Might be worth a try, either as a replacement for MozBackup - or a...er..backup to it? ;D

« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 03:34 PM by 40hz »

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2009, 03:57 PM »
From Websters:

Latin, from Greek, from gignesthai to be born

And don't forget the Genesis Project on Star Trek #?  :huh:
Thought it might be something along those lines.  An image with just the OS & Office = XP-Image#1, add some more = XP-Image#2, and so on.  Then you can revert back only as far as you want?

On second thought...maybe I'd better not.
Speaking from multiple experiences where I didn't learn... probably a good idea.  ;D

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2009, 04:08 PM »
Might be worth a try, either as a replacement for MozBackup - or a...er..backup to it? ;D

why all the big fuss about thunderbird mail :-\
copy the profile folder, restore as in the link I gave above. seems the easiest and most secure to me ...
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2009, 05:06 PM »
nlite/vlite trimming is a really nice thing, also because it allows you to easily integrate drivers, hotfixes/servicepacks and create unattended setups - saves a lot of time.

Thing is on PCs I get the OS is preinstalled and they don't provide an install CD/DVD.  HP doesn't seem to go to any pains to tell you how to get one either. vlite insists you copy the install DVD to the HD afaik. Seems kind of risky to reinstall the entire OS just to find out, like if I bought such a DVD, if the thing works before I make a system image for reinstall.  Have you run into any work-around for us underprivileged that don't get the DVD with the machines? :)

It's doable, but a bit of a pain. A quick Google should point you to some how-to's. It's a fairly involved process you'll need to go through to make an XP install CD.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2009, 06:03 PM »

copy the profile folder, restore as in the link I gave above. seems the easiest and most secure to me ...

Well, it's not as easy as just hitting a button and getting everything into one nice neat compressed little file. And it's also not recommended by the Mozilla folks for a variety of reasons unless you need to do it that way, so....<*yikes*> 40hz just completely lost the point he was trying to make. ;D

computer08.gif

It's been a long day...

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2009, 06:06 PM »
@40hz Thanks for the reply. But it's my understanding that XP is doable whereas Vista doesn't have what it takes on the HD to create the slipstream like you can in XP. At least with VistaPE I had to use WAIK just to get a boot Vista so I could mess with NTFS files on the HD(for instance to use ERUNT recovery or whatnot.)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2009, 06:29 PM »
@40hz Thanks for the reply. But it's my understanding that XP is doable whereas Vista doesn't have what it takes on the HD to create the slipstream like you can in XP. At least with VistaPE I had to use WAIK just to get a boot Vista so I could mess with NTFS files on the HD(for instance to use ERUNT recovery or whatnot.)

Wouldn't surprise me.

Also, sorry for not realizing it was Vista you were talking about. Can't be of much help to you there. I'm "one of those people" who has as little to do with Vista as possible. I'm skipping it and waiting for Win7. Fortunately, all of my clients are doing the same, so I just might get away with not knowing the ins and outs of Vista as well as I probably should. ;)

Thought: You might want to bounce your question off f0dder or some of the other Vista-savvy techno-mavens that hang out here. One of them might have an answer for you.

Luck. :Thmbsup:

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2009, 06:47 PM »
nlite/vlite trimming is a really nice thing, also because it allows you to easily integrate drivers, hotfixes/servicepacks and create unattended setups - saves a lot of time.

Thing is on PCs I get the OS is preinstalled and they don't provide an install CD/DVD.  HP doesn't seem to go to any pains to tell you how to get one either. vlite insists you copy the install DVD to the HD afaik. Seems kind of risky to reinstall the entire OS just to find out, like if I bought such a DVD, if the thing works before I make a system image for reinstall.  Have you run into any work-around for us underprivileged that don't get the DVD with the machines? :)

It's doable, but a bit of a pain. A quick Google should point you to some how-to's. It's a fairly involved process you'll need to go through to make an XP install CD.

Actually it's rather easy and took me less than 20 minutes excluding writing the CD, (most of the time spent waiting for it to copy the files to another directory).

Create XP install CD has all the info you need, read it through first before attempting it, it will make it go all the more smoother.

And of course, test the CD before you need to rely on it.

EDIT: Dang it!!  I really should read the whole thread before replying  :-[

No, it's not possible with Vista AFAIK.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 06:52 PM by 4wd »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2009, 06:53 PM »

Use the portable versions of Firefox and Thunderbird and just copy/archive the whole directories.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2009, 09:43 PM »
@4wd what I should have done is make an image after I cleaned off the crap and installed my most used apps, and burned it to a DVD set.  Thing is when you first get a PC you're distracted by trying to get all that crap off the machine.  Guess if I had a bunch of systems I'd develop a routine for creating lean setups.. but when you only buy one every few years you sort of fly without instruments. :)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2009, 10:09 PM »
Oh, with XP you can create a slipstream CD from a live install, rather than an ISO image? didn't know that, and don't know of a workaround for Vista.
- carpe noctem

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2009, 04:05 AM »
Have you tried Nlite? is a program that can help you put drivers, updates and hotfixes into a Windows XP installation disc. It can save lot's of installation time if used corectly.

I did a slipstreamed CD install last time using http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/

It worked great and I didn't have to spend hours updating XP!

Takes a bit of learning but it's not Brain Surgery... :D

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2009, 05:24 AM »
Have you tried Nlite? is a program that can help you put drivers, updates and hotfixes into a Windows XP installation disc. It can save lot's of installation time if used corectly.

Just in case: I think you need an XP SP2 install disk for that
There was a download link for an XP SP3 iso somewhere here a while back - I dont know could one use that?

You can download a full ISO version of Windows XP SP3 Pro and Home.

See http://www.tipandtri...via-http-or-torrent/

which has all the full ISO versions (and the links are to the Microsoft download site so they are safe - sorry I take that back all the links have now changed and they are at various other sites including torrents. The original checksums are given though so you can check the download is the original unaltered MS ISO file).

There is another thread with other references to SP3 downloads at https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=12466.0
Tom

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2009, 05:46 AM »

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2009, 05:50 AM »
Isn't SP3 an updated SP2?

Then you'd first need a CD with SP3 integrated?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2009, 06:17 AM »

I'm not sure lol
I just wanted to point out that you need an install disc with SP2 (minimum) already and then ryanvm slipstreams the updates
I see they have a Windows XP Post-SP3 Update Pack as well

can you tweak the install as well ? - did you indulge there?
Tom

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2009, 07:37 AM »

You can use RyanVM's packs with nLite, making it a no-brainer :)

He has both post-SP2 and post-SP3 packs. Iirc there's a few more things to SP3 than just "all the hotfixes since SP2", but not sure exactly what.

BTW you can slipsteam SP2 or SP3 yourself from a vanilla XP CD (or you can slipstream SP3 on a SP2 CD).
- carpe noctem

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2009, 11:31 AM »
One thing I also always do is download fresh copies of all my antimalware along with a few other select applications and utilities. This way I don't need to spend a lot of time on the web downloading and getting updates.

Lunarsoft puts out a nice tool that makes getting a number of useful downloads very easy. It's called (misnamed IMHO) the Anti-Malware Toolkit. Info and download at:

http://www.lunarsoft...lware-toolkit-103125

It has been mentioned on DonationCoder previously. Although it sounds like an antimalware application, what it really does is batch download such applications from a list which you can customize.

anti-malware_toolkit.png

One nice feature is that it also downloads some other non-security apps probably you'll want, such as Firefox and Thunderbird. Great tool. :up:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2009, 12:58 PM »
You can get detailed info from this site:

http://www.boot-land...et/forums/index.php?

That's where I got the info how to do the VistaPE disc.  At least you can boot to a graphical desktop with a file manager thing.  Better than nothing.  It does a lot more if you have the install CD instead of using WAIK.

From what I understand if you have XP on your system you can slipstream whatever SP you have on it similar to how BartPE is done, and add stuff you want for a customized environment that boots off CD.

From what I gather with Vista MS had the OEMs quit putting all those files on the HD that allowed slipstreaming stand-alone OS bootable CDs.  Guess it made it too easy for freelancers to distribute XP on their own label. :)

« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 01:00 PM by MilesAhead »

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2009, 02:56 AM »

I'm not sure lol
I just wanted to point out that you need an install disc with SP2 (minimum) already and then ryanvm slipstreams the updates
I see they have a Windows XP Post-SP3 Update Pack as well

can you tweak the install as well ? - did you indulge there?

What kind of tweaks?  ;D

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2009, 01:19 PM »
What kind of tweaks?  ;D

well I removed Windows Media Player (you can remove IE as well, but that seems risky to me)
I really hate the default xp theme so I removed that (I know it wasnt necessary to actually remove it but I enjoyed that :))
I set it up so as on start that it would logon directly (probably not secure but ..)

I cant remember the rest ... I thought I had some helpful links saved in Surfulater but no, dont seem to ...
Tom

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2009, 04:25 PM »
I really hate the default xp theme so I removed that
(I know it wasnt necessary to actually remove it but I enjoyed that)
;D ;D ;D

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2009, 04:43 PM »
;D ;D ;D
-cranioscopical (April 04, 2009, 04:25 PM)

Hmm seems those with XP put on a Vista lookin' theme, but if you have Vista you put on a W7 lookin' theme.  Guess if you get W7 Ultimate you have to put on a Windows 3.1 theme?  :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2009, 06:07 PM »
;D ;D ;D
-cranioscopical (April 04, 2009, 04:25 PM)

Hmm seems those with XP put on a Vista lookin' theme, but if you have Vista you put on a W7 lookin' theme.  Guess if you get W7 Ultimate you have to put on a Windows 3.1 theme?  :)

actually ...  :-\   I was always very tempted to try a vista look, but not enough to go to all the effort. I now use Classic Look
opera01.png
and
the Tango Patcher [edit] which replaces default system icons [/edit] and am quite happy with the look ... (really though, I wish I had been into computers when they had black backgrounds and glowing green type...)

Tom
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 06:54 AM by tomos »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2009, 07:38 PM »
I came after the green... my first monitor was 12" amber.  At least it wasn't teletype.  It did graphics, as long as you really like yellow.  :)

Since I put up with all the hassle of Vista I figure that entitles me to the exploding windows and transparencies.  So I usually go for a theme with glass. I use VistaGlazz and pretty much keep to .msstyles files.  Substituting too many system files can get you hosed.  I did try W7 beta and like everybody else with Vista I wish there was a way to get a Superbar that worked.  Instead I use a registry MinWidth tweak to just get icons in the taskbar. I use a double-height taskbar.  That gives me room to put a whole bunch of junk in my QuickLaunch and still have plenty of room.  For secondary stuff that I still use a lot I have a home-made toolbar.. and of course I use FARR.

The MinWidth tweak kills off the text labels for the toolbar folders so I had to use custom icons to represent the categoies.

Clipboard01.jpg