ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

OS Re-install Tips?

<< < (5/13) > >>

siouxdax:
@siouxdax I've used MozBackup where it didn't properly install saved email, so it's good, esp. if you have an external drive, to make a folder with your emails and profiles.  Also in FF, as I just found out the hard way, there's a schism between 2.x and 3.x.  MozBackup claims to span all versions of FF from 1.5 to 3.1 beta but the format of bookamarks and some other stuff is different.  If you only have one profile and try to go back to 2.x after using 3.x it prolly won't work.  Not that it's that big a deal since 3.1 beta 3 seems stable enough to me to be default browser, but you can waste time trying to go back to 2.x like if you play with Minefield then want to get your settings back from a 2.x profile or something. It can get pretty confused.

So profile copy to a folder doesn't hurt. And if you play with Minefield, might be a good idea to create another user account with a separate profile so it doesn't step on your working stuff.

-MilesAhead (April 02, 2009, 01:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

How do I backup my emails in Thunderbird other than MozBackup? That's the number one concern I'm having at the moment. Everything else looks like it's falling into place.

tomos:
wow, busy here isnt it :D

How do I backup my emails in Thunderbird other than MozBackup?
-siouxdax (April 02, 2009, 01:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup

I'd make the OS partition 30 GB - if you're hanging out here you probably like installing stuff :P
I have 9 GB free out of 30 ...

otherwwise I think you're in the hands of the experts :-*

tomos:
How to create these images, and what to do with it?
-Coeluh (April 02, 2009, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---
are you looking for something free?
this one - DriveImage XML -  worked for me once - only disadvantage compared to pay software is that you cant do incremental backups
http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm

what to do with it ... you could make a UBCD4Win disk and use it to restore the image of your drive if something screws up (you would have to store the image on another partition/drive/or dvd if it fits - I cant remember can you break it up into dvd sized chunks with DriveImage XML)
funny though I cant get through to their site at the mo: www.ubcd4win.com

MilesAhead:
siouxdax, there's a Mail folder underneath your Thunderbird profile. On my system the profile folder is "C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles"

under it you should see a folder with a funky temp name and inside it Mail.  Just copy the entire Mail folder to a folder for backup.  To Restore, if you already have to mail you'll probably have to open both Mail folders and manually mess with it. But try MozBackup restore first.  This is only a fallback if that doesn't work. Also there may be some Mail merge programs for Thunderbird if you google.

bob99:
I think it's better to have an image than not have one. I keep a fairly current image of my working setup along with the genesis images.
--- End quote ---

Though it has been awhile since the fresh install I think I'll still go ahead and make one after I do a virus scan, defrag, etc.  And put it on an external drive.  Could get me out of a bind if there isn't time for a full fresh install.  I'm not real up on imaging or the genesis term.  So I have some research & reading to do too.

(BTW -could that app be Quark Xpress or AutoCad by any chance? )

--- End quote ---

No, it's a program used to monitor parameters and settings in industrial instruments for pressure, level, flow, etc. 

It should work,
--- End quote ---
Actually it is easy enough for me to find out.  Didn't think before I asked the question.  I'll image the partition, move the license key off, restore the image and see if the program runs.  If not I still have the license key and can move it back.  And I'll have learned something.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version