ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

OS Re-install Tips?

<< < (4/13) > >>

Coeluh:
Ah. I never thought about that. Good idea. I wish I had done that prior to this re-install. But I'll be sure to do that next time around (hopefully I won't have to).
-siouxdax (April 02, 2009, 07:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

I guess the ideal would be something like this

* Partition
* Install OS
* Defrag
* Create Image (of OS partition)
* Install programmes
* Defrag
* Tweak OS (move My Docs etc)
cant say I did it that way myself though :-[  :D
-tomos (April 02, 2009, 07:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
How to create these images, and what to do with it?

gexecuter:
Have you tried Nlite? is a program that can help you put drivers, updates and hotfixes into a Windows XP installation disc. It can save lot's of installation time if used corectly.

40hz:
One question regarding MozBackup: Do I just run the restore when I reinstall Firefox and Thunderbird to restore all settings? Does it restore all of my emails?
-siouxdax (April 02, 2009, 11:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

It should, although I don't know how trustworthy it is. I've used it with no problems many times, but there were also two occasions when some things just didn't want to work.

Best I can suggest is to use the most recent stable version that's available and keep fingers crossed. That's pretty much what I do.  I also print out hard copies of individual e-mails I can't afford to lose.

BTW: I much prefer to use the FEBE add-on to backup Firefox. I also periodically export my bookmarks - but I'm a nit like that sometimes.

I think I should clarify that I am reinstalling XP from scratch, so if there's anything that should do differently from what you've said, do let me know.
--- End quote ---

Nope! I was talking about XP. Probably should have said that shouldn't I? ... :-[

Is there anything else I'm missing?
--- End quote ---

Make sure you have all you serial numbers, activation codes, and registration keys for those apps of yours that require them during setup.

40hz:
Thanks for the well written explanation.  Set-ups are user specific but I'd say your method would fit most most needs.
One more ques. Something I didn't do the last time was image.  It's been a few months, what would be the +/- of going ahead and doing one now instead of just after a true new install. -bob99 (April 02, 2009, 12:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think it's better to have an image than not have one. I keep a fairly current image of my working setup along with the genesis images. The only reason I do want Microsoft-only images is to avoid doing a lot of uninstalls if I decide to completely change my software down the road. I'll always use Windows and Office, but everything else is subject to change.

Minor note - maybe I should have also pointed out I use swappable hard drives with my main PC. In my case, the genesis images are more like a Windows XP installer on steroids for when I need to clone my base installation. I have something like seven drives (it varies) set up for various things. When I did the original images, I primarily wanted them to be as barebones as possible so I could use them to create my more specialized XP installations.

I also have a work program I use that requires some time and effort to re-install.
Which, sorry,  leads to another ques. regarding the image.  Could be a dumb one, but here goes.
This program has a license I have to move on and off via a 3.5 floppy.  If I make make the image with the license still in place on the partition, what are the chances it will still work when I do the recovery from the image?  It is an image, so it should be there... right?

--- End quote ---

Not a dumb question at all. (BTW -could that app be Quark Xpress or AutoCad by any chance? ;D)

It should work, although it largely depends on how cagey the programmers were when they created the floppy license key system (which most of us thought went out with Lotus 1-2-3 v2.0  and DBase-III back in the 80s). If the anticopy mechanism does something clever like check the Mfg ID/Serial number on the hard drive, then there could be problems if you're installing to a new drive. I doubt it's that smart however. Usually a software publisher resorts to a dongle or USB key scheme when they want that kind of security. And in most cases, they'll generate their hash key off the serial or model number of something you wouldn't normally be able to replace, like the BIOS chip.

The only real way to find out is to test it. But I'm 99.9% sure it will work with the restored image.

Related note: Last I checked, Microsoft's product activations do remain intact after an image reinstall. But since they're constantly futzing with their antipiracy measures, that may not always be the case. If it does turn out to be a problem (i.e. WGA tells you you're running a bootleg copy) you can always call Microsoft and let them know you've reinstalled on the same machine using a disk image. From my experience, Microsoft is usually pretty good about reactivating Windows and Office as long as the problem is not due to an obvious act of software piracy.

8)

MilesAhead:
nlite/vlite trimming is a really nice thing, also because it allows you to easily integrate drivers, hotfixes/servicepacks and create unattended setups - saves a lot of time.
-f0dder (April 02, 2009, 09:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thing is on PCs I get the OS is preinstalled and they don't provide an install CD/DVD.  HP doesn't seem to go to any pains to tell you how to get one either. vlite insists you copy the install DVD to the HD afaik. Seems kind of risky to reinstall the entire OS just to find out, like if I bought such a DVD, if the thing works before I make a system image for reinstall.  Have you run into any work-around for us underprivileged that don't get the DVD with the machines? :)

MilesAhead:
@siouxdax I've used MozBackup where it didn't properly install saved email, so it's good, esp. if you have an external drive, to make a folder with your emails and profiles.  Also in FF, as I just found out the hard way, there's a schism between 2.x and 3.x.  MozBackup claims to span all versions of FF from 1.5 to 3.1 beta but the format of bookamarks and some other stuff is different.  If you only have one profile and try to go back to 2.x after using 3.x it prolly won't work.  Not that it's that big a deal since 3.1 beta 3 seems stable enough to me to be default browser, but you can waste time trying to go back to 2.x like if you play with Minefield then want to get your settings back from a 2.x profile or something. It can get pretty confused.

So profile copy to a folder doesn't hurt. And if you play with Minefield, might be a good idea to create another user account with a separate profile so it doesn't step on your working stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version