ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

OS Re-install Tips?

<< < (2/13) > >>

siouxdax:
Ah. I never thought about that. Good idea. I wish I had done that prior to this re-install. But I'll be sure to do that next time around (hopefully I won't have to).

tomos:
Ah. I never thought about that. Good idea. I wish I had done that prior to this re-install. But I'll be sure to do that next time around (hopefully I won't have to).
-siouxdax (April 02, 2009, 07:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

I guess the ideal would be something like this

* Partition
* Install OS
* Defrag
* Create Image (of OS partition)
* Install programmes
* Defrag
* Tweak OS (move My Docs etc)
cant say I did it that way myself though :-[  :D

tomos:
as I say that above the ideal

here's  40hz's approach from thread above (I added a bit of formatting):-

In a former existence I was responsible for the upkeep of a large number of laptops
The most workable solution was to have 3 partitions.

* Partition 1 was the OS and application suite.
* Partition 2 was a 20Gb recovery repository.
* Partition 3 was the userdata & tempfile area.
We did a clean install of the OS; added the SP's; updated any drivers; added the apps suite and updated those - and then ran Trueimage to create a "genesis" image which was stored on Partition 2. That way (come heaven, hell, or Hollywood) we could have anybody back in business in ten minutes no matter what hit them
-40hz (February 27, 2008, 12:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

siouxdax:
tomos:
That seems like a very tidy arrangement. I will definitely consider using that method. Thanks a lot!

bob99:
I had to re-install  a couple of times last summer and fall while trying to figure out what was causing mine to BSOD.  Laptop with XP Pro.
I talked the tech I worked with into 2 partitions.  1 for the OS and programs and the other for data.  He didn't understand why I wanted to do this until I explained I wanted the 2nd to be strictly data for ease of backing up.  Wish I had thought of tomos' 3 partition solution.

tomos:
Any general recommendation on the sizes for partition 1 and 3?  The tech told me I needed the OS and program partition to be kept as large as possible for swap files, etc.  I have a 100 gig HD and it is set up 70/30.  70 being the OS and programs.  And right now I have a little over 50 gig still free. 
I don't intend to re-install anytime soon but want to have a plan in place if and when I have to.
thx.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version